Julan Ashlander Companion

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
NatalieN

Re: Julan Ashlander Companion

Post by NatalieN »

Double post for visibility.

Consider the below script. The Player->Position line works as intended. The KS_Shani->Position and KS_Julan->Position lines don't.

It took me forever to figure it out, but it's a bug in the implementation of the Position command. Position is supposed to position the object to the given exterior position. In the current implementation, it does this for the Player, but not for NPCs. Instead of being placed in the exterior, NPCs are being positioned at the specified coordinates in the cell they are currently in. This behavior is incorrect

You can test this by loading the attached save (with the Julan Ashlander Companion mod) and playing till you get teleported outside. Then, open the console and paste in the following line:

player->PositionCell 58733 126161 707 0 "Haishibi Abandoned Mine, Cavern"

Code: Select all

Begin KS_Jul_Teleport3                            ;  Outside Shani's cave, Shani, J and player.

; adapted from a script by The Other Felix

float Timer
short port
float oldgamehour

If ( Menumode == 1 )
	return
elseif ( GameHour == oldgamehour )
	return
endif

set oldgamehour to GameHour

if ( port == 0 )                    
	if ( Timer == 0 )
		KS_Julan->Cast "ks_Recall" KS_Julan
		Messagebox "Shani: Oh nooo, I hate teleporting!"
		Set Timer to 1
	elseif ( Timer < 4.5 )
		Set Timer to ( Timer + GetSecondsPassed )
	else
	player->Position 58733 126161 707 0
		KS_Shani->Position 58635 126175 707 0 
		KS_Julan->Position 58631 126108 707 0
		Set Timer to 0
		Set "KS_Julan".jul_follow to 1
		Set "KS_Shani".sha_follow to 1
		Messagebox "Shani: It always makes me feel sick!"
		KS_Julan->disable
		KS_Shani->disable
		KS_Julan->enable
		KS_Shani->enable
		set port to 1
	endif
endif

if ( port == 1 )
  set Timer to Timer + GetSecondsPassed
  if ( Timer > 1 )
		KS_Julan->disable
		KS_Shani->disable
		KS_Julan->enable
		KS_Shani->enable
		KS_Julan->AiFollow Player 0 0 0 0
		KS_Shani->AiFollow Player 0 0 0 0
		KS_Shani->addtopic "-- health"
		StopScript KS_Jul_Teleport3
	endif
endif

End
Submitted as Bug #3109
Attachments
positiontest.omwsave.tar.gz
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 543 times
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3080
According to the bug report, AiFollow stacks up as Julan follows you in every frame, eventually causing the game to slow down.

AiFollow: player, 0, 0, 0, 0
Does anyone know how to fix this? It's really breaking the game for me.
NatalieN

Post by NatalieN »

In anticipation of 0.38.0, I've attached an updated patch that fixes a few more issues I was able to find, and I've simplified the Mountainous Red Mountain patch. It no longer requires the .esp. FAQ has been updated as well.

I still haven't been able to figure out any in-game workarounds for #3080. Every now and again, I'll get normal frames but I have no idea how to force that to happen. Story doesn't get very far at all before it becomes unplayable with Julan in the cell. I had to use hacky work-arounds (eg, toggleai when you don't need AI.) to get as far as I did.

Finally, could someone with wiki editing access please link to this thread on the Mod status page. I think it should get the red status sign. And perhaps also link the mod status page to Mod installation page?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You can edit the wiki yourself, but you need to add yourself to the group here in the forums.
ucp.php?i=groups&mode=membership
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

Just updated using the daily build PPA, and everything seems okay now, looks like bug 3080 has been remedied, so no more freezing every second as Julan follows me, thanks for making Julan playable on OpenMW :)
I'll be observing this, thanks again!
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

OpenMW 0.40
Xubuntu 16.04 LTS

Testing in Tribunal.

The bug: No option to bring Julan and Shani with you to Clockwork CIty. In vanilla, when you speak to Almalexia about stopping Sotha Sil, the option to bring companions is present.
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

Found a temporary solution:

After traveling to Clockwork CIty, apply these codes one by one to the console;

KS_Julan->PositionCell 0 0 0 0 "Sotha Sil, Outer Flooded Halls"
then

KS_Shani->PositionCell 0 0 0 0 "Sotha Sil, Outer Flooded Halls"
Darklocq

Post by Darklocq »

Coming into this thread very late, using 0.41.0 (Jan. build with MacOS Sierra fixes), and been testing companion mods. I see .omwaddon patches at the top of this thread, and a note that they'll be updated to newer versions as needed, but the bottom of this thread seems to suggest issues are resolved, and I don't know if that means with or without those .omwaddon files, thus I'm not sure how to proceed testing Julan.

I find that some of the Emma/Grumpy companions work, and some don't. Wolf Companion 1.3 is great for the most part (if a bit OP if you are not already at the Daedra-fighting stage). He sometimes disappears and has to be re-summoned with his ring, and can also be found hanging out in Arrille's Tradehouse, which is a scripted "Have you seen my wolf?" location for him).

But Beryl and Hurd are totally malfunctional; they go into "I'm going to fight the air forever!" mode. The staff of Domehome do something similar. If you use the Staff Ring to move them somewhere else, as soon as the second arrives, she'll fight with the first. I was able to lead them manually from one locale to another, but this can only be done in-town; as soon as combat is triggered with anything, even a rat, the whole lot of them go into combat freakout mode, and nothing seems to get them out of it. I've tried Calm Humanoid, and they go back into fight mode as soon as it wears off. I have not tried the fighter-woman companion in Domehome as a companion, since the AI appears to be the same as Beryl and Hurd.

I find that Laura Craft does not work on my setup (she's very interactive but will not follow), but I have other mods loaded; I haven't done a clean test yet, nor gone over the forums to see if there're details about getting her to work. I really want her to, because while I find her lovey-dovey dialogue annoying and overwrought, I really like that she's very specifically trainable (I want a spear companion, since the game is full of good spears, but they suck as PC weapons).

Some newer companions based on the same core scripts but worked on by others ("generation 3" companions, I guess we could call them) seem to produce better results. I've been using Jasmine for a week, and the only problems are that she's very, very sensitive to mod changes, and can vanish. If you add/remove some trivial mod, like testing a house mod in some town, Jasmine is liable to disappear into the beyond-map void. Due to her quest scripting, she cannot simply be cloned with PlaceAtPC (even at the cost of losing her non-stock gear) – you cannot use her as a companion until she's gone through several quest steps, and they cannot be duplicated in the same savegame. If you go through them again, they don't trigger right, and she's just an NPC. You can remove the mod, clean your save, reinstall it, and start over with her. I have not tried the more complicated "recover from the void" commands mentioned for the Julan companions on Jasmine when this happens to her, since I didn't know about them. Will try that next time it happens. I"m about to start an all-new game with her installed. [Update: I can confirm that Jasmine is recoverable without restarting her and losing stuff, if she vanishes. You can do something like: JAC_Jasmine->PositionCell 492 457 -240 16200 "Balmora, South Wall Cornerclub". I can also confirm that she's a brittle mod; sometimes just changing load order of other mods will make her disappear, but so far I've been able to get her back.]

The Dawn companion has been working for me, though I've only tried her for one day, with a throw-away PC. [Update: Now been running with her for a week, and all is well, with her alone or with others in tow.]

Pack rat, pack guar, and pack donkey scripts have been working for me okay, too, from multiple mods, but I have only been trying them for a couple of days while I test out the patched up version of Balmora Expanded to see what else will work with it.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Darklocq wrote:Coming into this thread very late, using 0.41.0 (Jan. build with MacOS Sierra fixes), and been testing companion mods. I see .omwaddon patches at the top of this thread, and a note that they'll be updated to newer versions as needed, but the bottom of this thread seems to suggest issues are resolved, and I don't know if that means with or without those .omwaddon files, thus I'm not sure how to proceed testing Julan.
Has anyone figured this out? It'd be great if we could gather all these working patches somewhere.
Darklocq

Post by Darklocq »

Completely stuck with Julan now (using same Jan. 2017 build I mentioned above; it's the same playthrough). I cannot get past the Zainsubanni bit of the MQ. Julan has been trained up, and wants to go to Red Mountain (both his "Red Mountain" and "Within the Ghostfence" dialogue options say so, and he prompted me to go back there with him after some training). He reverts to his "let me cast Almsivi Intervention" panic attack as soon as within the Ghostfence's bounds.

Neither option in response to that panic attack actually results in teleportation; I have to manually lead him out. Once outside, he again wants to immediately go to Red Mountain. Zainsubanni keeps saying I still have to complete Julan's first quest. (However, on first meeting, I told him I was busy and would meet up with him later in Ald'ruhn, and he did teleport away. This no-teleport issue seems specific to the "Within the Ghostfence" quest business. I know from earlier in this thread that other teleportation issues with him were resolved back in 2015.

Nothing triggers meeting Julan's mother so far. I have met Shani. I have gotten Julan drunk in various places (especially Ald'ruhn and Vos), and gotten some different dialogue, but it does not seem to matter. After Rest to sober up, we're right back where we started.

Then he got stuck in drunk mode and in follow mode (he's scripted to disable the "wait here" option when he's drunk). As a "liquid courage" experiment, I'd gotten him drunk in a dungeon between fights. He would then not leave following-drunk mode for days on end. Resting did not help. Abandoning him for 72+ hours in a different cell had him disappear (not sure where to, but not the Ald Skar Inn). Bringing him back to a known location with "PositionCell" had him still in drunk-and-follow mode despite a separation that long usually causing an NPC to reset. Taking him to Red Mountain in this condition results in the same panic-attack loop, and does not fix the drunk-and-follow loop when you go back outside the Ghostfence. Doing another Rest after the 72-hour separation did finally end the drunk-and-follow issue, but didn't fix anything else.

Using "sv" in the console does not reveal any "KS_JUL_..." variables. Nothing in openmw.log seems to relate.

Doing "SetHealth 0" on Julan so he's dead DOES allow me to approach Zainsubanni and (apparently) continue the Main Quest, but going that route is a very last resort, of course. I badly want to play this mod! Hoping there's a console fix to joggle him into next phase of his quests.

I did install the JulanOMWpatch.omwaddon file at the head of this thread, but did not know the thread existed until after this game started with just the stock Julan mod installed. The patch seems to have no effect on these matters, even if I respawn a new Julan with "PlaceAtPC" (he retains the training and dialog from progress so far, but has his original gear, and still panics after saying he's ready to go inside the Ghostfence to Red Mountain).

Reinstall + save-cleaning: I also unequipped my good gear from him, saved, and did the clean-save routine: saved game, quit the app, removed the mod and the patch, restarted the app, loaded the save, saved again, quit the app, added the mod and patch back in, restarted the app, loaded the cleaned save, saved again, and reloaded that save. Then went to Ghostgate (I skipped the Shani's father encounter, since I couldn't remember where I encountered his little "road quest"), rescued the respawned Julan from the Clannfears, took him on, trained him until he prompted that he wanted to go inside the Ghostfence, and ... the same thing happened all over. Nothing special happens when we go in, he will follow and fight, but as soon as I open dialogue with him, I get the "I already told you I'm not ready for Red Mountain" panic attack loop, with the two teleport-away options that don't actually do anything.

At this point, I seem left with the options of killing him, or removing the mod, and doing the former is less likely to produce instability, I think (especially if I revert back to before the mod removal/replacing and save-cleaning stuff, which could have disrupted things I haven't noticed yet).

PS: I cannot run a daily build of OpenMW. I have tried, and all of them since at least March crash on startup with my current mod list (under Mac OS X 10.12.4; I'm stably using build 9e8e9aef86 of OpenMW 0.41 from mid-January, which was posted to the downloads FTP site as specifically for Mac OS X Sierra). This far into the game (about to take over two guilds, and building a stronghold) I rarely can modify that mod list even slightly, or the entire game falls apart (broken wall meshes, etc. – half the game turns neon fuschia). I was surprised I was able to install that omwaddon file at all after the game was in-progress, much less remove Julan temporarily. That's the only mod change I've been able to do in about a month.

[Edit: Fixed confusion between Ghostgate and the Ghostfence.]
Last edited by Darklocq on 29 Apr 2017, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.