OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
KnightoftheWind

Re: OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I know this has been talked about in the past, and eventually other Bethesda games will be supported by OpenMW by virtue of them all sharing the same basic engine and even code, but I feel that supporting Skyrim is of particular high priority. Not only is it still incredibly popular to this day with thousands of mods, but there are in-development projects that seek to remake Morrowind and Oblivion using the Skyrim engine and it's assets.

Therefore I feel that by supporting Skyrim, you would also be supporting the other titles by proxy, granted they are a few years away. "Skyblivion" is due for release in 2025, "Skywind" around the same time I would imagine. I feel that any and all efforts taken to make Skyrim compatible with OpenMW is time well spent indeed, and not just because I am a fan of the game. I believe someone has already taken steps to implement other titles into OpenMW, so I am very excited to see things develop!.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I appreciate the enthusiasm but that's not how that works. By your logic, supporting Fallout4 will support Skyrim by proxy so we should focus on that.

The roadmap for the coming year(s) is to polish Morrowind support and add NIF/ESM4 bit by bit which enables more of the worlds of other games to eventually get us to a "walking simulator" state. Basically Morrowind HUD/gameplay on top of the Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout worlds.

We are also dehardcoding gameplay, allowing more to be done in Lua. This will go a long way to eventually start supporting gameplay of other games.

Do not forget that the scripting engine for Skyrim is totally new, papyrus, which has nothing to do with mwscript, let alone obscript. So it's not as simple as supporting Skyrim and everything else 'just works'.

No worries though, we know what we're doing. :)

PS: the SkyrimRE folk know about OpenMW and we're part of the discussion there as well.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

psi29a wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 10:27 I appreciate the enthusiasm but that's not how that works. By your logic, supporting Fallout4 will support Skyrim by proxy so we should focus on that.

The roadmap for the coming year(s) is to polish Morrowind support and add NIF/ESM4 bit by bit which enables more of the worlds of other games to eventually get us to a "walking simulator" state. Basically Morrowind HUD/gameplay on top of the Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout worlds.

We are also dehardcoding gameplay, allowing more to be done in Lua. This will go a long way to eventually start supporting gameplay of other games.

Do not forget that the scripting engine for Skyrim is totally new, papyrus, which has nothing to do with mwscript, let alone obscript. So it's not as simple as supporting Skyrim and everything else 'just works'.

No worries though, we know what we're doing. :)

PS: the SkyrimRE folk know about OpenMW and we're part of the discussion there as well.
Thanks for the explanation on the matter. I'm not saying that by enabling Skyrim support, that all other games will be rendered playable as well, I am remarking that since many fan remake projects are being based on Skyrim, that it would be a very worthwhile endeavor to get the game to a playable state on OpenMW or even a fork project of some kind. Skywind and Skyblivion are upcoming fan remakes of the two preceding Elder Scrolls games, so by supporting Skyrim the two others would 'technically' be supported too. Sort of. So perhaps once OpenMW reaches its 1.0 state, any efforts to get Oblivion playable would perhaps be better spent on Skyrim first, in case some of the devs were interested. Those are just my thoughts on the matter.