OpenMW Optimization?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
SquireNed

Re: OpenMW Optimization?

Post by SquireNed »

My old Windows 7 laptop has been converted over to Ubuntu, and I might get around to testing some OpenMW on that platform, if I can ever get the discrete graphics working.
shkarlatroman90

Post by shkarlatroman90 »

I read messages in this post and decided to abandon any observation of this engine. Year 2023, engine version 0.47 - 0.48 Game developers of this engine made some features, but thing is, even in vanilla Morrowind Data it plays with constant lags, constant area uploading. MCP+MGE XE+Morrowind Enhanced Textures+better models, almost highest quality of shaders distant land with 5 cells, and it plays smoothly on medium machine. I made equivalent setup of mods in OpenMW and it shows slideshow.
Last edited by shkarlatroman90 on 16 May 2023, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
shkarlatroman90

psi29a wrote: 25 Jan 2015, 22:59
Tinker wrote:Optimisation is always the last thing in software development, not much much point in optimising something that may not survive a few rebuilds.

As I understand it a lot of performance will come from Ogre updates to start with and another problem is most active members are working on Linux and performance under Linux is always better than windows so they need more feedback from windows users. Specifically where problems are and under what conditions.
Normally, I would agree with this but there is a bit of nuance.

Windows is the largest target, so we do take the time to figure out problems that happen there.

We do acknowledge that performance is underwhelming, and that is what Tinker said... we are focusing more on stability, good code and functionality. Once we we get close to 100% feature complete, then we have to take a good long look at optimization and fix any bottlenecks. That is the moment when code re-writes happen and we follow the rabbit hole down development hell... that last 2% of a project that usually lasts the longest.

We rather have something playable than something shiny, but of course, we want both. As with most things, just give us time please. :)
I'm pretty sure when you'll release version 1.0 there will be interest in Morrowind such as interest in Daggerfall now. And then you'll be optimizing engine for decade, when it will be suffient for comfort game no one left interested in Morrowind
shkarlatroman90

psi29a wrote: 25 Jan 2015, 22:59
Tinker wrote:Optimisation is always the last thing in software development, not much much point in optimising something that may not survive a few rebuilds.

As I understand it a lot of performance will come from Ogre updates to start with and another problem is most active members are working on Linux and performance under Linux is always better than windows so they need more feedback from windows users. Specifically where problems are and under what conditions.
Normally, I would agree with this but there is a bit of nuance.

Windows is the largest target, so we do take the time to figure out problems that happen there.

We do acknowledge that performance is underwhelming, and that is what Tinker said... we are focusing more on stability, good code and functionality. Once we we get close to 100% feature complete, then we have to take a good long look at optimization and fix any bottlenecks. That is the moment when code re-writes happen and we follow the rabbit hole down development hell... that last 2% of a project that usually lasts the longest.

We rather have something playable than something shiny, but of course, we want both. As with most things, just give us time please. :)
I played in OpenMW several years ago on much slower machine, I remembere there were no some shadows in game, but it played pretty smooth, Now with your "features" it need top machine to playable status. Enough! Stop it! Don't generate any feature and start do optimization, while you can
MelissaPeterss

Post by MelissaPeterss »

Esoptros wrote: 25 Jan 2015, 18:28 I am particularly curious about potential optimization updates and or enhancements. Perhaps I'm being blind, but I couldn't find really any info with what's going on with increasing optimization so I do apologize beforehand if this is an old question.

I have play tested the newest update for OpenMW [mainly recently due to my current involvement with modding Skyrim] I just returned to Morrowind. While I am not a coder/scripter I have to be impressed by the work done here. But to me Optimization should be a very important aspect of it. And forgive me if this is harsh, but the optimization is horrid. My computer can handle a heavily modded Skyrim graphics wise with no lag, but when playing OpenMW with just basic graphics and reflective water causes lags, that's a big issue.

My point is, what is going on with the Optimization side of things for OpenMW, any updates or news?
Speed concerns are mainly pushed after ver. 1.0; overall considering it is possible to play with reasonable hardware.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's not accurate. We're already doing what we can to make things go as fast as possible without breaking compatibility with the original engine or dropping support for hardware we know some of our users use.