Skills limit

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tinker

Skills limit

Post by Tinker »

Is there a technical reason for limiting the number of skills to 26?

I know that TESCS does not allow adding more and wondered if OpenCS also prevents adding more just to replicate TESCS or if there was a deeper reason for the limit.

Quite a lot of mods add skills to players which can be trained, improved by use and affect abilities to perform tasks just as the official skills do but increasing levels in these does nothing to help with levelling up and none can be chosen as primary or secondary skills. With many there are difficulties seeing what skill level you have, resorting to console commands or using the skill to get a message about your level, some of this is made worse in OpenMW as not all console commands work yet.

Will it be possible, at some point in the future, to add the ability to create new skills in the editor? I think this would be very popular with some mod writers and make using the mods better for players.
sirherrbatka

Re: Skills limit

Post by sirherrbatka »

Will it be possible, at some point in the future, to add the ability to create new skills in the editor? I think this would be very popular with some mod writers and make using the mods better for players.
Yes. De-hardcoding skills is post 1.0.0 thing.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Getting rid of the fixed skills is firmly on my list for either 1.1 or 1.2. Definitely want to get rid of fixed attributes for 1.1. Don't know yet if we can get to skills in 1.1 too (there is an awful lot of stuff of my list).
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Yet more great news, you guys amaze me with the amount you get through.

I was not expecting much for some time, definatley not for 1.0 but 1.1 or 1.2 seem quite close.