Records saving

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Re: Records saving

Post by Zini »

It's okay. The thread hasn't become so bloated yet, that it is hard to use.
Resurrecting this thread since I was planning to use the esmtool, and then found out that it doesn't print the records of weapons.
The ESM tool has a lot of deficits.
I had that issue too, and fixed it up temporarily to get the tool working, I will have to look into a more permanent solution now.
That would be great. Here is the issue.
so one solution would be to convert the function into something like this:
Makes sense to me.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

werdanith wrote: so one solution would be to convert the function into something like this:

Code: Select all

float getFVer() {  if(mCtx.header.version == VER_12) return 1.2; else return 1.3;  }
ideas?
Or change it to:

float getFVer() { return static_cast<float> (mCtx.header.version); }
I was going to fix these strict aliasing warnings but the 0.12 release took my time.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Zini wrote: That would be great. Here is the issue
This was never a localization issue, it was just that the encoding for the esmtool was never set. And this tripped an assert. The strange thing is why nobody complained all this time. Probably a combination of nobody using it, and asserts being disabled in Release mode.

I've set the encoding to default latin encoding, I see that we are using a tool that sets up the command line arguments automatically so I left that alone for now.

Both commits are on github, time to look into the weapon records, and whatever else is missing.
Zini

Post by Zini »

See my comment on github please. A simple implementation via boost program options will do the job (no need for using cfg files).
I see that we are using a tool that sets up the command line arguments automatically so I left that alone for now.
I do not know what you mean with this.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

pvdk wrote:
werdanith wrote: so one solution would be to convert the function into something like this:

float getFVer() {  if(mCtx.header.version == VER_12) return 1.2; else return 1.3;  }
ideas?
Or change it to:

float getFVer() { return static_cast<float> (mCtx.header.version); }
I was going to fix these strict aliasing warnings but the 0.12 release took my time.
This would not work. It was a number encoded as a float stored into an integer. Try this code and you'll see why:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	int a = 0x3fa66666;
	cout << static_cast<float>(a) << endl;
	cout << *((float*)&a) << endl;
	return 0;
}

Zini wrote:See my comment on github please. A simple implementation via boost program options will do the job (no need for using cfg files).
I see that we are using a tool that sets up the command line arguments automatically so I left that alone for now.
I do not know what you mean with this.
When I said configured I meant through a command line argument, and from what I can tell the esmtool uses another tool called gengetopt that automatically generates the code to handle them. Regarding boost program options, I have to say I'm totally unfamiliar with Boost.
Zini

Post by Zini »

When I said configured I meant through a command line argument, and from what I can tell the esmtool uses another tool called gengetopt that automatically generates the code to handle them
I see. That is a ugly overcomplicated relict from the early days of OpenMW that should be thrown out as quickly as possible.

As for boost program option have a look at the main.cpp file of OpenMW.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

werdanith wrote:This would not work. It was a number encoded as a float stored into an integer. Try this code and you'll see why:
Ok, but is there an alternative to your proposed solution with the ifs? Right now we only use two versions, but in the future we will add at least one more for the editor.
Zini

Post by Zini »

In the future we will need a new sub-record for the version info (of type int or something similar). I guess we can invalidate the current one by setting it to std::numeric_limits<float>::max() or something; which would indicate that the new version record should be used. That would make a total of 3 version numbers.

Using floats for version numbers is a really bad idea.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

pvdk wrote: Ok, but is there an alternative to your proposed solution with the ifs? Right now we only use two versions, but in the future we will add at least one more for the editor.
That's why I said I don't know what to do about it. This requires either the ESM_Context struct to be rewritten or a function that converts floats that pretend to be ints into real floats.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

I tore out the gengetopt crap from the esmtool and replaced it with boost program options. The commit is up on github and it seems to be working correctly for me and pvdk.
Next I plan to look into the missing records.
And since I'm on a refactoring spree, are there any useful features, or interface revamp required for the tool?