Android build openmw

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
sandstranger

Re: Android build openmw

Post by sandstranger »

Last edited by sandstranger on 01 Aug 2014, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

I cannot get this to work, no matter what I try. I've tweaked every possible setting in the OpenMW cfg files, tried all sorts of path settings (like sdcard/data, storage/sdcard/data, emulated/0/data, and many more), and uninstalled + reinstalled the apk. I even tried to run OpenMW on my wife's S3, but with the same result. Hardly surprising, after all S3 and Note2 are twins, apart from the screens.
I've noticed that when I clear cache/dalvik cache via CWM, OpenMW doesn't force close, but simply drops back to desktop, just as it did after the very first, fresh install. After this, I receive force close messages again. The catlog looks a bit different, too, after the initial first-time crash.
Has anyone had success in getting this to work on a Note2/S3 and could point me to what I'm doing wrong? I'm on 4.4.2, my wife's S3 is still running 4.3, so it's not an issue with my particular Android version.
Thanks in advance!
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

Maybe you could get some help from the developer of Beloko games, he has done flawless ports of Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Quake 1-3 etc for Android with probably the best touch controls found in any mobile app (check out his work at Google Play).

I've emailed him some time ago before sandstranger set off on his task, and he was very interested in the OpenMW project. He said he could make a good port which is supported and maintained, but he would probably charge a small amount on Google Play because of the time proper user support would consume. I can confirm that he also adheres to the GPL3 licence.
The problem he was having with getting involved in this project was that he didn't want to offend any of the developers by making a paid app off OpenMW.

So that's rather a question to Zini, scrawl & co: if you wouldn't mind, I could ask him again to get in touch with you guys.
GameEnder

Post by GameEnder »

Hay just a thought have you thought of uploading it to f-droid.org for download there a app store that focuses on just open-source applications, would making getting latest builds easier.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

Zini

Post by Zini »

Xelasarg wrote:Maybe you could get some help from the developer of Beloko games, he has done flawless ports of Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Quake 1-3 etc for Android with probably the best touch controls found in any mobile app (check out his work at Google Play).

I've emailed him some time ago before sandstranger set off on his task, and he was very interested in the OpenMW project. He said he could make a good port which is supported and maintained, but he would probably charge a small amount on Google Play because of the time proper user support would consume. I can confirm that he also adheres to the GPL3 licence.
The problem he was having with getting involved in this project was that he didn't want to offend any of the developers by making a paid app off OpenMW.

So that's rather a question to Zini, scrawl & co: if you wouldn't mind, I could ask him again to get in touch with you guys.
I would prefer if that not happens. As discussed before our legal situation is relatively strong, but not necessarily invulnerable. Involving money in any way may increase this lack of invulnerability or bring it to peoples attention. Of course in case of trouble the android app would be hit instead of us, but we could still be affected by the fallout. At this point I would prefer not to take any risks. Call me paranoid, if you want.
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

That's alright, it's your project after all. I just didn't want to neglect a possible option for further help on this port. sandstranger ist doing a great job, and I find it highly entertainig to follow his progress. :)
Anyway, my crappy old laptop is about to die anyway, so I'll probably buy a Windows 8 tablet instead and play the "official" OpenMW on the go. 8-)
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

scrawl

Post by scrawl »

You are on the wrong track here. We do not use the Ogre terrain component.