OpenMW modding section

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
sirherrbatka

OpenMW modding section

Post by sirherrbatka »

Since we have the very first OpenMW mod, I think it is time to think about subforum for mods! :D
Okulo

Re: OpenMW modding section

Post by Okulo »

lgromanowski wrote:
PeterBitt wrote:I agree with Tarius on the modding section for the forums! Actually I would vote for one to be added already, might motivate a few people to prepare some stuff for 1.0 release.
Please send me nice one, or two sentence description of modding forum and it will be added :)
Looks like it's already happening. :-)

I kinda doubt its timing, however. There is still so much to be done before any mods can be done. OpenCS is far from finished and graphics-wise the whole mapping thing doesn't seem to be completed either. I have to wonder if creating a modding forum at this point isn't jumping the gun a bit. Could turn that subforum into a place where people go: "CAN THIS BE DONE?" and someone will come along and say "NOPE. NOT YET." Rinse, repeat.

Might want to jumpstart the modding forum in a different way.
raevol

Post by raevol »

sirherrbatka wrote:Since we have the very first OpenMW mod, I think it is time to think about subforum for mods! :D
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

raevol wrote:
sirherrbatka wrote:Since we have the very first OpenMW mod, I think it is time to think about subforum for mods! :D
Did Ron Paul really just become a meme? This is the second place I have seen that. haha
raevol

Post by raevol »

Tarius wrote:Did Ron Paul really just become a meme? This is the second place I have seen that. haha
Haha it's been around for a little bit, but it's hard to find the right moments to use it...
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Zini wrote:That would be a "Using OpenCS" (preliminary title) forum since modding with the vanilla TES-CS for OpenMW is really no different from modding for vanilla MW. There are already enough places out there to discuss that. Could either go into the General section or into the Technical section. Not sure about that. Anyway, there is little point in adding such a forum before OpenCS becomes usable.
A quote from "2014" thread

While I do see sense in that, I see the other idea behind the modding subforum. Creating a section under the subforum for people willing to recreate original assets as close as possible to the vanilla design. Seeing most of people here want their asset mods to stay true to the vanilla, and one of the OpenMW goals is to recreate vanilla engine as close as possible.

As Faelin stated in the specular maps thread, lot of artists make their work unoptimized, so at first stuff would have to go through a review. But I think this would be minimalised through the mutual agreement. If you really want to contribute to such a project, you have to understand there are two main goals. Models and textures both have to be as close to vanilla as possible, and just as optimised.
e.g. agree on a specific poly count limit for weapons, map props etc. and a maximum texture resolution on different models, set up a quality standard with guidelines people can follow.

I don't think it's too early to get people interested in starting to recreate original models and diffuse textures, both don't really require the engine to be finished first.