Xoreos: GemRB for Aurora?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Sslaxx

Xoreos: GemRB for Aurora?

Post by Sslaxx »

http://xoreos.org/ - looks like this project has just started out. It appears to be an attempt to reverse-engineer the Aurora engine in order to play games ranging from Neverwinter Nights 1 to Dragon Age II.

I like the idea, but does anyone else think this is like as if OpenMW were supporting every Gamebryo game ever (or even just Morrowind and Oblivion and Skyrim)?
WeirdSexy

Re: Xoreos: GemRB for Aurora?

Post by WeirdSexy »

dude, thanks for pointing this project out. I would freaking love to play all of those games with a better engine. Seems pretty damn ambitious though.

Perhaps I don't understand your question. But yeah, that seems about like what it is/would be.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Neat! Well, I wish them lots of luck.
Ascent

Post by Ascent »

WeirdSexy wrote:dude, thanks for pointing this project out. I would freaking love to play all of those games with a better engine. Seems pretty damn ambitious though.
Yes, it's perhaps too ambitious. Someday Xoreos might be useful, but that project hasn't seen anywhere near the level of success that this one has.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

There is an interview with NWN Podcast from a year ago, downloading right now.
http://www.nwnpodcast.com/nwnp/2014/04/ ... ra-engine/

The idea is great, but maybe too ambitious? GemRB is working on much simpler games and still has only one game fully playable. Part of the reason why OpenMW is progressing so well is that the project's focus is laster-sharp: one game and no additional features until 1.0.
raevol

Post by raevol »

HiPhish wrote:Part of the reason why OpenMW is progressing so well is that the project's focus is laster-sharp: one game and no additional features until 1.0.
There's a ton of things that other projects could learn from OpenMW, but this is one of the most critical ones.
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

Wow, that project certainly is ambitious. Seems like the main dev is a smart guy but I still doubt that the current goal of supporting all games based on the Aurora engine (and derivatives) will ever be reached unless a lot of interested, talented developers join in to help.

edit: Just read in a more-or-less recent blog post that he "Added support for BZF archives, used in the iOS version of Knights of the Old Republic. " So he seems really serious about the scope of the project :mrgreen:
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

or just get a minimalist like Zini.