OpenMW Nightly builds

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
jvoisin

Re: OpenMW Nightly builds

Post by jvoisin »

Please do, it's a great idea!
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I'm just surprised it wasn't done sooner, the stable Flatpak is fine enough but if you want to be on the bleeding edge it's rather cumbersome to install the dev/nightly version. Even if it was only updated every week or so, it'd be nice to have.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

The main issue is just that Flathub isn't really designed for it (having more than two active branches), so we'd likely have to have a separate OpenMW application for the nightly/CI builds. The main and beta branches of the existing application are already used for release and RC.

Alternatively, hosting a small flatpak repository for our CI builds could also be done.
KnightoftheWind

Maybe RC's could become Appimages, and dev builds could be Flatpaks in it's place?.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There are a bunch of places where a Flatpak is much lower-hassle than any of the other options. For example, you can just install stuff with a couple of clicks on a Steam Deck if it's on Flathub, but it's not got support for Snaps or AppImages.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I don't think anyone would say no to AppImage versions of the generic Linux build, but I also know that I'm not going to be the one to build them - since people on older distros wouldn't be able to run them if I did so. (They still have runtime dependencies on the libc version)

Flatpak itself wouldn't have any issue at all with also distributing nightly/per-commit builds, it'd just require hosting a separate repository off of Flathub to store them - as Flathub currently only offers two active branches.
If more people are interested, I could definitely set up a Flatpak repository for distributing CI builds from, got plenty of available storage and bandwidth in terms of just serving static files like such.
KnightoftheWind

Appimages are an option at least, I know RC builds are released far less often than nightly/dev builds, so it would make sense to just produce an Appimage every time an RC build is made public. Since dev builds are updated daily, a Flatpak would be put to better use.

This forum isn't very popular it seems, so I don't think you'll see 100 Linux chads give their explicit thumbs up for a new Flatpak, but I know it'd be very useful for those who don't currently use an Arch or Ubuntu-based distro. If it can be done, I hope it will be.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Weird that "chad" is being used in this context. :lol:

If we can automate a thing, we should. Though I think having one way to package an generic build is better than trying to support everything.

This is why we let downstream do the packaging for us for a lot of reasons.
Mummelpuffin

Post by Mummelpuffin »

Just want to shout into the void that there is, in fact, at least one Linux user who isn't using an Ubuntu or Arch distro and would rather not compile everything from source :)

But tbh maybe I SHOULD bother trying to pull it and build it... learn how this thing works under the hood, at least a little bit
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Yes you should. :)

However... don't we have nightly generic builds? :?:

We're trying to see about flatpaks, nightly flatpaks... ;)