MGE, MWSE, Code Patch

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
rinslime

MGE, MWSE, Code Patch

Post by rinslime »

I know one of the previous videos stated that existing versions of these modifications do not work with OpenMW, but is support for them going to be adopted later on? The only thing that will stand between most people and using OpenMW is probably going to be at least one of these three.

So is anything going to be done about them, such as supporting these mods, or possibly working with the authors to port them to OpenMW, or even integrate them into OpenMW?

Well more specifically, is it a definite:
'No we will not support these mods and leave it up to the authors if they want to support openmw on their own'
'It's too early to say if anything will be done about one or all of these mods'
or
'Yes, we have plans to support one or all of these'
jvoisin

Re: MGE, MWSE, Code Patch

Post by jvoisin »

MGE will be useless since openmw will be (is ?) amazingly beautiful.
MWSE is not planed iirc.
MCP is a non-sense with OpenMw.

OpenMW is an open-source project, there is not need anymore for external tools to do monkey-patching: you can directly modify the source to improve the gaming experience.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I imagine we will have compatibility with mods that use MWSE, though not until after 1.0. We won't support MWSE itself, but we more than likely can implement the useful script extensions directly in OpenMW, which will make said mods happy.

MGE and MCP aren't relevant to OpenMW since they patch the executable to extend and fix the original engine. We have a completely different engine. Actual bugs fixed by MCP can be avoided completely in our engine, while useful options it had can be exposed in other ways. Enhancements done by MGE can be added directly to our engine, probably in better form too since we're not working with a 2002 game engine as a base.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Chris wrote:I imagine we will have compatibility with mods that use MWSE, though not until after 1.0. We won't support MWSE itself, but we more than likely can implement the useful script extensions directly in OpenMW, which will make said mods happy.
I think what MWSE does is simply add variable support for certain functions. Where before you couldnt add in any variables for script functions, MWSE makes it so you can.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Tarius wrote:I think what MWSE does is simply add variable support for certain functions. Where before you couldnt add in any variables for script functions, MWSE makes it so you can.
MWSE also adds some extra functions, like for reading input and other things, IIRC. I'd actually not be surprised if MGE(XE) adds some more too, relating to the graphics/shader stuff, since it comes with MWSE built-in.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

Chris wrote:
Tarius wrote:I think what MWSE does is simply add variable support for certain functions. Where before you couldnt add in any variables for script functions, MWSE makes it so you can.
MWSE also adds some extra functions, like for reading input and other things, IIRC. I'd actually not be surprised if MGE(XE) adds some more too, relating to the graphics/shader stuff, since it comes with MWSE built-in.
I've never taken the time to look into what MGE specifically does, but it obviously adds some usability to the game in addition to what MWSE adds. Specifically I'm thinking of the, uh, "helm mod"? that makes it look like you're looking through the slits of the different helms, tailored for each helm.

Though I have to agree, I know MWSE is out of the scope of the project, though I'll be hard pressed to fire up the finished product without support for MWSE.

Don't forget about MWE (Morrowind Enhanced), it came out before MWSE (I could be wrong, but I don't believe so). The author implemented active combat (not "dice roll"--think oblivion). He ended up being hired by bethesda. It had other mods, too, obviously, but that was the big one.
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

claudekennilol wrote:I've never taken the time to look into what MGE specifically does, [...]
I'm not versed in all the jargon about this but IIRC, MGE is a shader injector. It runs it's own version of directX on top of Morrowind's version of DirectX in order to display things like shaders, distant land, per-pixel lighting, shadows, and other features like HUD replacers and first person helms. The thing is since it's running on top of Morrowind it has to do a lot of extra work and won't actually run as nicely as Skyrim for instance depending on your PC setup.
claudekennilol wrote:Don't forget about MWE (Morrowind Enhanced), it came out before MWSE (I could be wrong, but I don't believe so). The author implemented active combat (not "dice roll"--think oblivion). He ended up being hired by bethesda. It had other mods, too, obviously, but that was the big one.
MWE added some really cool features. Decapitation/dismemberment, some item physics, time control (slowing down time), and writing your own books/scrolls and journal entries ingame come to mind. The problem is it had some issues with making Morrowind less stable and corrupting savegames. Some were affected by this and others weren't. I personally stopped running MWE because it made my game crash a lot more frequently.

Removing the Dice-roll is actually really easy and can be done in the vanilla game through a couple console commands. It kinda makes a lot of weapon skills useless though since they are used to determine if you'd hit the target. In Oblivion and Skyrim they have damage multipliers instead.