C++11

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
corristo

Re: C++11

Post by corristo »

Situation is pretty bad =\

Ogre compiles against libc++, no problem, but fails greatly when added -std=c++11 switch (clang doesn't support incomplete types as a template argument, as of standard, but other compilers ignores this). So, currently I can't use ANY c++11 features with Clang & Ogre.

More information: http://clang.llvm.org/compatibility.htm ... incomplete

Last chance is to try gcc and build everything with it, and distribute it's libstdc++ binary with OpenMW.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Any progress? We need to come to a conclusion rather sooner than later, because we can not have a release before this issue has been resolved; one way or the other.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Looks like it's currently impossible to build Ogre with gcc on OS X, since it uses Cocoa (mac UI framework) headers, and this headers defines blocks, but gcc's Objective-C front-end knows nothing about blocks.

So, no C++11 for OpenMW so far :(
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay then. I reverted the wiki and added an issue to the tracker for making the necessary adjustments. Please keep an eye on the situation and inform us if something changes.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Of course, I'll let you know if something changes. Ogre's incompatibility with Clang's c++11 mode is currently a main issue.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Here's one:

Code: Select all

/Users/corristo/Projects/OpenMW/openmw/components/bsa/bsa_archive.cpp:94:49: error: 
      no member named 'move' in namespace 'std'
            mIndex.insert (std::make_pair (std::move ...
                                           ~~~~~^
Chris

Post by Chris »

Just tried to merge master and building broke:
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-std=c++03"
And indeed, looking at man gcc it doesn't list c++03 as a valid option for -std. There's c++98, gnu++98, c++0x, and gnu++0x. I'm using GCC 4.5.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Odd. GCC 4.6 accepts c++03 without complaining. Anyway, fixed now.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Status update: I took a closer look at the Ogre 1.9.0 sources and it seems that they actually did fix c++11 compilation issues on Mac.

On the other side 1.9.0 completely screwed my build workflow and I can't test it immediately. Maybe closer to 1.9.0 final release.
MaddTheSane

Post by MaddTheSane »

corristo wrote:Looks like it's currently impossible to build Ogre with gcc on OS X, since it uses Cocoa (mac UI framework) headers, and this headers defines blocks, but gcc's Objective-C front-end knows nothing about blocks.

So, no C++11 for OpenMW so far :(
OS X's GCC distributed with Xcode should implement blocks if the OS X target is 10.6 or later. At least, the GCC compiler distributed by Xcode 4. Earlier Xcode versions may need GCC 4.2 or LLVM GCC 4.2.

I can see a non-Apple (or non-patched) version of GCC having issues with blocks.

Also, is it completely impossible to mix different libraries that depend on libstdc++ and libc++?

Libc++ is also only available on Lion (10.7) or later.