A Set of Ideas

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tes96

Re: A Set of Ideas

Post by Tes96 »

Zini wrote:
If the animations in Oblivion & Skyrim are in NIF format then why can modders already convert them over? For example, the standard walking animations. I love Skyrim's female walk. Why can't that animation currently be converted for usage in Morrowind?
And with that, would OpenMW allow for usage of other animations from Oblivion and Skyrim to be ported and used?
Bethesda has explicitly stated that they do not wish assets to be transferred between their games. People could get into legal trouble for trying to do something like that (at least if they release it).
That's true. Then I guess it would just require an animator skilled enough to make smooth animations. As another member on here pointed out, the animations in Morrowind are terrible, which I agree. And there are probably different ideas and theories about how to approach and handle them. Animations are a modding issue, right? With OpenMW's code being much more flexible than Gambryo's, there will be much greater possibilities of animation modding in Morrowind, correct?
Zini

Post by Zini »

We are still trying to figure out the MW animation system. It is pretty cryptic. Until we exactly know where we stand, it is hard to make any predictions about the future. But there is definitely room for improvements.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Tes96 wrote:If the animations in Oblivion & Skyrim are in NIF format then why can modders already convert them over? For example, the standard walking animations. I love Skyrim's female walk. Why can't that animation currently be converted for usage in Morrowind?
In addition to what Zini said, the biggest technical reason is that the meshes in Morrowind are poorly rigged. Using a "correct" skeleton+animation will warp parts of the body meshes incorrectly. This also applies to clothing, so you'd pretty much have to re-rig all the body, clothing, and armor models with the corrected skeleton, and be incompatible with Better Bodies, Better Clothes, and other mods that were designed with MW's original skeleton rig.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Chris wrote:
Tes96 wrote:If the animations in Oblivion & Skyrim are in NIF format then why can modders already convert them over? For example, the standard walking animations. I love Skyrim's female walk. Why can't that animation currently be converted for usage in Morrowind?
In addition to what Zini said, the biggest technical reason is that the meshes in Morrowind are poorly rigged. Using a "correct" skeleton+animation will warp parts of the body meshes incorrectly. This also applies to clothing, so you'd pretty much have to re-rig all the body, clothing, and armor models with the corrected skeleton, and be incompatible with Better Bodies, Better Clothes, and other mods that were designed with MW's original skeleton rig.
That sounds exciting to me. After 10+ years, I'd say it's time to move up from Better Bodies/Better Clothing. Scenery graphics have been improving consistently but bodies and clothes have pretty much been stagnant. I would so love to see a brand new skeleton and clothes and body replacer introduced into Morrowind. If I knew how, I would do it. But I'm only a novice modder.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

I want to be able to cut off the limbs! :twisted: And blood stains on armor/clothes/skin. ^^ Only a tiny blood splatters - it's boring.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Br0ken wrote:I want to be able to cut off the limbs! :twisted: And blood stains on armor/clothes/skin. ^^ Only a tiny blood splatters - it's boring.
My dark side approves!
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Br0ken wrote:I want to be able to cut off the limbs! :twisted: And blood stains on armor/clothes/skin. ^^ Only a tiny blood splatters - it's boring.
(Gasp!) What would the children think?

Another idea I have for OpenMW is to be able to type in the amount you want to barter instead of using the slider. I know that is hard-coded into the Gambryo engine and so cannot be changed with mods. I may have mentioned this already.
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

Tes96 wrote:Another idea I have for OpenMW is to be able to type in the amount you want to barter instead of using the slider.
Would be useful, indeed.

For my part, I would like to see the object when it is dropped from inventory. In MW, trying to correctly place books on a shelf is a pain, even with helper mods.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

potatoesmaster wrote:
Tes96 wrote:Another idea I have for OpenMW is to be able to type in the amount you want to barter instead of using the slider.
Would be useful, indeed.

For my part, I would like to see the object when it is dropped from inventory. In MW, trying to correctly place books on a shelf is a pain, even with helper mods.
I like Skyrim's system where shelves and such are containers. You open the container, place whatever item in its inventory, and it shows up arranged on the shelf. Sure, you might lose a bit of freedom when it comes to placing the items exactly where you want them, but I think it's a reasonable trade-off.
asirian

A Set of Ideas

Post by asirian »

I have some idea about better skilling in morrowind. ( I always want new skill) but this isn´t important now. I want to improve skills in morrowind and get them talent tree, like in skyrim, but my is little better, i think. From 50 skill, u can get new point to skill talent tree. Then u can get new talent point everytime u get another 5 skill points in this currect skill. it need to rise skill cap to 150.

But there is another problem, this idea need another idea to improve skills like armorer. Armorer have very specific role in game and its only repair armor. I could only make balanced talent trees for skills, tell u few more ideas, but that is all. My biggest problem is that i haven´t any programming skills.