A Set of Ideas

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Simsoy

A Set of Ideas

Post by Simsoy »

I have a small list of ideas I would love to see within the game. Most I think are optional, or maybe ideas for modders to pick at. Some of them very requested.

First of all, I'd like to see minor UI changes. I believe they said that they had changed the Journal? Which if they haven't, I would hope they do. I'd love the ability to mark a quest as the one I am currently following, and to have a notification somewhere in the corner telling me if a note has been added/written or a quest has been added.

I would also lovelovelove to see a combat/magic/ranged/AI overhaul. Let's face it, as amazing of a game Morrowind is, the combat never was enjoyable. Magic is fun (so far I haven't yet tried that or ranged weapons out) but I imagine if those could be redone better, they should by all means. Skyrim has pretty impressive combat as far as melee and ranged goes, I would love to see dual wielding, manual blocking/bashing and just some generally fun combat, somewhere between skill and character's skill; ranged combat should pack a punch but accuracy and criticals depends on level. Magic is enjoyable because wielding spells gives them a punch, but I always thought that some spells shouldn't be wielded because maybe they aren't combat or they are support spells. For each magic spell they should be recognized as wielded or activated by the "C" key like they are in Oblivion.

If we are going to improve combat we'd need better animations right? Morrowind never had strong animations. I think it's time to fix that, a complete animation overhaul would be great to see.

And seeing how we could have good looking animations, why not put them to good use with an AI overhaul? They should be able to detect sneaking and stole items (no more of that magically knowing when an item is stolen or knowing its stolen when you try to sell it out of town), have scripts and schedules to follow, walk around town, talk with other folks.

Speaking of animations, what about more natural feeling animals and monsters? Right now they kinda just stand there. It would be nice if they had small loops of things they did, Gars feeding on plants, Cliff Racers perching on cliffs maybe even hunting smaller animals and scooping them up (please, if you have to fix anything fix Cliff Racers! I want them to rarely attack me)

Organize the NPC dialogue, I have about a hundred things to say to NPCs but its all over the place, I have something from a quest I did ages ago and so much. Maybe we could have little drop down menus that show basic dialogue, quest related, town related, ect.
TorbenC

Re: A Set of Ideas

Post by TorbenC »

All of these are post 1.0.

Though, you can learn C++ and implement them yourself. I'm learning C++ to help out on the project and it's going pretty good, I'll be ready to work on it eventually.
Last edited by TorbenC on 04 Nov 2012, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Animations are outside the scope of OpenMW. We could implement better animation capabilities, but the animations themselves need to be done by modders.

I'd definitely like to see better dialog handling, though. Such as dimming already-read topics (like Oblivion and Skyrim do) and sorting unread topics to the top.
Simsoy

Post by Simsoy »

Chris wrote:Animations are outside the scope of OpenMW. We could implement better animation capabilities, but the animations themselves need to be done by modders.

I'd definitely like to see better dialog handling, though. Such as dimming already-read topics (like Oblivion and Skyrim do) and sorting unread topics to the top.
I agree, maybe there could (be like I said) drop down menus. I would love to put quest related dialogue somewhere else, I dont need to ask an NPC about another NPC if I did that quest a long time ago (or maybe make past dialogue options disappear once the quest or objective is done?)
Simsoy

Post by Simsoy »

TorbenC wrote:All of these are post 1.0.

Though, you can learn C++ and implement them yourself. I'm learning C++ to help out on the project and it's going pretty good, I'll be ready to work on it eventually.
I can't be bothered to learn code, I write but not in a language that computers understand. There's no coding involved in general mod making? (such as quests, locations, adding dialogue or editing dialogue)
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

Simsoy wrote:
I can't be bothered to learn code, I write but not in a language that computers understand. There's no coding involved in general mod making? (such as quests, locations, adding dialogue or editing dialogue)
OpenMW isn't a mod.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Simsoy wrote:
TorbenC wrote:All of these are post 1.0.

No, there's no coding in general modding, but if you want to add quests and such you'll need to do scripting. If you can learn to script, you can probably learn to code. Surely you're not suggesting that the features you are asking for could be implemented without coding?
Jeffman12

Post by Jeffman12 »

Not gonna lie, I created an account with the express intent of saying skyrim's combat is pretty hard to beat. I haven't played a whole lot of morrowind. Just installed tonight after I bought it in the last big TES steam sale, found my way here while looking for graphics overhauls.

Here's what I know:

I hated Oblivion's layout of shield slot, weapon slot, spell slot.
I absolutely love Skyrim's left hand/right hand system, the blocking, the strong attacks, magic as a hand and not an "ability" slot. Take it from someone who can't bring themselves to play anything but a thief, I'm no berzerker or wizard saying this. I always wind up specializing in daggers and bows, and these capitalize the least on such a system.

I'm actually capable of animating things granted they're rigged already, but I think the only thing that would help the atrocious animations I've seen so far is someone with a mocap studio, or at least a way to convert newer anims over.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Jeffman12 wrote:I'm actually capable of animating things granted they're rigged already, but I think the only thing that would help the atrocious animations I've seen so far is someone with a mocap studio, or at least a way to convert newer animations over.
If the animations in Oblivion & Skyrim are in NIF format then why can modders already convert them over? For example, the standard walking animations. I love Skyrim's female walk. Why can't that animation currently be converted for usage in Morrowind?
And with that, would OpenMW allow for usage of other animations from Oblivion and Skyrim to be ported and used?
And I know Better Bodies is the standard (and pretty much only) body replacer in Morrowind but will OpenMW allow for modding smoother creations of bodies such as those in Skyrim & Oblivion?
I know the mesh files for the bodies are segmented differently in each game. Morrowind separates ankle from upperleg and groin, chest, upperarm, wrist, etc... while Oblivion has the entire upperbody except the hands as one model... at least the HGEC body mod that I'm using does. I really have no idea how one would go about creating new body models but new ones would be great. I personally don't care about all the clothing mods that have been made for the Better Bodies model. If there was a new body mod replacer made that was up to date, there would be a plethora of new clothing mods made for it. Just like how Oblivion has many body replacers and most people aren't upset over it. Any ways, you guys get what I'm saying.
Zini

Post by Zini »

If the animations in Oblivion & Skyrim are in NIF format then why can modders already convert them over? For example, the standard walking animations. I love Skyrim's female walk. Why can't that animation currently be converted for usage in Morrowind?
And with that, would OpenMW allow for usage of other animations from Oblivion and Skyrim to be ported and used?
Bethesda has explicitly stated that they do not wish assets to be transferred between their games. People could get into legal trouble for trying to do something like that (at least if they release it).