OpenMW 0.19.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Greendogo

Re: OpenMW 0.19.0

Post by Greendogo »

I have a question. What kinds of things would we stop a release to fix instead of pushing that thing to the next release?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

It's interesting how your voice sounds different from release to release. Excellent work. I love the grim reaper ending.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Nicely done Weird, as usual!

By the way, look at the books in the video! Will someone fix the size of the books and journal for .20! :D (Is that even in the bug tracker? It doesn't look like bugs 182 or 284)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

In the beginning, it seems like your voice is slower or like you recorded it and slowed it down a bit but kept the same pitch (like VLC). Near the end, it has the same (normal?) pace. You are the first person I know to say G-U-I instead of Gooie. ;) At least in Europe, a lot of acronyms are just said instead of spelled out: LED is said like "lead".

@Zini and crew, during compiliation of latest code, I get this warning:
[ 4%] Building CXX object extern/oics/CMakeFiles/oics.dir/tinyxml.cpp.o
/home/bbrick/workspace/OpenMW/openmw/extern/oics/tinyxml.cpp: In member function ‘void TiXmlAttribute::SetDoubleValue(double)’:
/home/bbrick/workspace/OpenMW/openmw/extern/oics/tinyxml.cpp:1269:50: warning: ISO C++ does not support the ‘%lf’ gnu_printf format [-Wformat]
/home/bbrick/workspace/OpenMW/openmw/extern/oics/tinyxml.cpp:1269:50: warning: ISO C++ does not support the ‘%lf’ gnu_printf format [-Wformat]
I also get this error:
[ 59%] Building CXX object apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/mwinput/inputmanagerimp.cpp.o
In file included from /home/bcurtis/workspace/OpenMW/openmw/apps/openmw/mwinput/inputmanagerimp.cpp:1:0:
/home/bcurtis/workspace/OpenMW/openmw/apps/openmw/mwinput/inputmanagerimp.hpp:45:29: fatal error: OIS/OISKeyboard.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
As it turns out the directly OIS in latest Ubuntu 12.10 is renamed ois, lowercase. Shouldn't we be handling this in cmake, by letting it find the appropriate OIS/ois directory and using that instead of hard coding it?

Update: This is correctly set in cmake, apparently in inputmanagerimp.hpp and in inputmanagerimp.cpp we include OIS/OISKeyboard.h which doesn't exist, it needs to be ois/OISKeyboard.h , is there anything we can do about that?

I removed the OIS and suddenly it compiles... no warnings. Shall I patch it up?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Patch was already created by scrawl, but was only pulled into zini's next.

This MUST go into master, otherwise 0.19.0 will not compile on Ubuntu 12.10.

I consider this a show stopper bug.

https://github.com/scrawl/openmw/commit ... 4840fcc741
https://github.com/zinnschlag/openmw/pull/426
raevol

Post by raevol »

Dem new features.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I have a question. What kinds of things would we stop a release to fix instead of pushing that thing to the next release?
Anything that fundamentally affects the core features of the release or that breaks OpenMW. Anything else goes into next for now. At this stage of development having bugs is expected and is not a problem at all, as long as these bugs do not fall in the categories listed above and are well documented. We are working with an accelerated release cycle of a software that is not ready for use. Therefore I prefer having some bugs over extending the RC phase and having more RC builds to test the bug fixes. Obviously that will change when we reach 1.0 and people are actually using OpenMW to play MW.

The OIS fix is in master now.

[ 4%] Building CXX object extern/oics/CMakeFiles/oics.dir/tinyxml.cpp.o
/home/bbrick/workspace/OpenMW/openmw/extern/oics/tinyxml.cpp: In member function ‘void TiXmlAttribute::SetDoubleValue(double)’:
Some issue with a shiny dependency. C-ish problem. No idea. What have to read up on that first (been at least a decade since I used C). Can wait until 0.20.0, I think.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@WeirdSexy: Great video.

Okay, looks like everything is in place. Tag added. Release, please.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:@WeirdSexy: Great video.

Okay, looks like everything is in place. Tag added. Release, please.
Going to build a static ogre to help solve some issues for our Ubuntu 12.10 users, I'll let werdanith explain. Anyway, Ubuntu releases should be ready by tomorrow. :)

Update:
Source (plus shiny)
https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/ ... ig.tar.bz2

Precise and Oneiric are being built now and should be ready by tomorrow (buildbot is delayed by 13 hours for amd64). Quantal will have to wait until tomorrow, going back to static ogre for this release.

Ubuntu (and Getdeb)'s version of Ogre1.8 is released with "Release with Symbols" which apparently triggers asserts to go off. We do not get these assert issues when it is pure 'release'. Scrawl seems to think it is a bug in Ogre itself, but it only seems to trigger when Shadows are on. We will have a more detailed post in another thread to address the issue.