Reversing Morrowind's formulas

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Re: Reversing Morrowind's formulas

Post by Zini »

Sure, although i read somewhere about having to add myself to the wiki team to be able to edit the wiki? Do I have to do that? If so how?
Have a look at your forum user control panel and then go to usergroups.
And where do you want me to put my findings in the research wiki? Which section would it belong in?
Alongside the respective skil's description. Probably "Disposition and Persuasion" for Speechcraft and "Trading and Services" for Mercantile.

Okay, looks like you are done with these research tasks. Since you are at it already, I suggest you investigate the skill gain for the other skills too. For some skills we already have the formula (already implemented even). For others we don't.
GunnerWolf

Post by GunnerWolf »

okidokes, also on a side note, I feel the Wiki would be a lot easier to read and such, if we simply organised it by skill, we have a seperate page for each skill, and one for level up and the 3 stats, and on the page of each skill we have all formulae associated with it, and any other relevant research.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

GunnerWolf wrote:okidokes, also on a side note, I feel the Wiki would be a lot easier to read and such, if we simply organised it by skill, we have a seperate page for each skill, and one for level up and the 3 stats, and on the page of each skill we have all formulae associated with it, and any other relevant research.
Feel free to update wiki contents, just add yourself to wiki group in forum user control panel.
GunnerWolf

Post by GunnerWolf »

lgromanowski wrote:
GunnerWolf wrote:okidokes, also on a side note, I feel the Wiki would be a lot easier to read and such, if we simply organised it by skill, we have a seperate page for each skill, and one for level up and the 3 stats, and on the page of each skill we have all formulae associated with it, and any other relevant research.
Feel free to update wiki contents, just add yourself to wiki group in forum user control panel.
I already have, I just didn't want to irritate anybody who specifically wanted it organised thusly.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I just looked up the skill gain for Mercantile and Speechcraft and I don't think your results are entirely correct. Or at least not entirely complete.

For Mercantile we have two different skill usages. One is named successful Bargain and the other one successful Bribe. This would suggest, that bribing also influences Mercantile. Can you confirm that?

For Speechcraft we have successful persuasion and failed persuasion, which suggests, that your skill increases, even if you don't succeed.
sirherrbatka

bribes and stuff

Post by sirherrbatka »

it's "morrowind thing" ;-)

Bribes are supposed to increase your Mercantile skill, but this isn't true in game. Bribes will increase your Speechcraft skill, but not your Mercantile. However, bribery is still based off your Mercantile skill, acting as an alternative to Speechcraft.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Mercantile
For Speechcraft we have successful persuasion and failed persuasion, which suggests, that your skill increases, even if you don't succeed.
This CAN be true. It's true for enchenting attempts.
Archonoffate

Post by Archonoffate »

Hello I did a little digging today and found a cast chance formula for morrowind's spells. I read earlier that Hrnchamd had a formula going so this may or may not help either way here it is:

Code: Select all

castChance = (Spell's skill * 2 + Willpower / 5 + Luck / 10 - Spell cost - Sound 

magnitude) * (0.75 + 0.5 * Current Fatigue/Maximum Fatigue)
I stumbled upon this here while looking for a nice starting point for research.

This formula is significantly different than Hrnchanmd's formula

This may be a little late but sorry only just started helping today :oops:

Either way I'll be booting up Morrowind later today to start testing some theories I have... the bit at the end makes me wonder if fatigue really does affect spell cast chance if I remember correctly it does

Upon more digging I also found the spell cost and damage formulas as well:

Damage (which seems off):

Damage - Damage * ( Resistance - Weakness )/100
Cost:

( [ Min Magnitude + Max Magnitude ] * [ Duration + 1 ] + Area ) * Base Cost / 40
Both of these were found here
Hrnchamd

Post by Hrnchamd »

Heya, welcome to the research division!
Archonoffate wrote:

castChance = (Spell's skill * 2 + Willpower / 5 + Luck / 10 - Spell cost - Sound 

magnitude) * (0.75 + 0.5 * Current Fatigue/Maximum Fatigue)
I stumbled upon this here while looking for a nice starting point for research.

This formula is significantly different than Hrnchanmd's formula
Could you demonstrate how it is significantly different that the formula on the wiki?
endorph

Post by endorph »

Hello.
I have some experience with reverse engineering of x86 code, so, probably, i can help with getting formulas.
What exact formulas do we need now?
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

You'll find more informations here : https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Formulae