OpenMW 0.40.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.40.0

Post by Zini »

We have something that we could release as a bug-fix release. Unfortunately we have not a lot in terms of feature improvements, which is to a good part my fault. The previous months have been hilariously busy for me and I was barely able to work on OpenMW at all. This will settle down eventually but I expect the current status to continue for a bit longer.

I was considering doing a bug fix release, but we don't have anything urgent and a more substantial release in the first half of August might just work.

Opinions?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'm OK with a bug-fix release.

I'm blocked either way until OSG 3.4 finally gets into Debian experimental. For our PPA, it's fine.

Question for you Zini, I know you're busy, but when do you think we get some default (sane) values so that we don't have to depend on there being a Morrowind.ini file?
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is currently planned as a post-1.0 feature (eliminating the need for Morrowind.ini files altogether). I think the last time we talked about that you were okay with it. But things are dragging on a bit and I would not oppose a placeholder implementation, if you think you need one.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

It entirely depends on when 1.0 lands. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong DestinedToDie, but we could feasibly have a small quest or chain of quests and features to show off by end of the year. I'm being generous with the estimate here.

We have an official 'release' of ES (0.11) which we could in theory package up with OpenMW right now. Not that you can do much of anything with it as it stands. It would be nice to be able to just "play" the game and get to the ES, work on it and so forth without having to own Morrowind at this point.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

psi29a wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong DestinedToDie, but we could feasibly have a small quest or chain of quests and features to show off by end of the year. I'm being generous with the estimate here.

We have an official 'release' of ES (0.11) which we could in theory package up with OpenMW right now. Not that you can do much of anything with it as it stands. It would be nice to be able to just "play" the game and get to the ES
Feasible. Not something I´d show off. It would consist of mostly having 1 weapon, talking to and fighting against NPCs that all look the same and buttnaked, wandering around an empty sandy island with the occasional placeholder here and there. At least that´s how I see 0.13 release, which is not far off. Spells are not on the roadmap yet, but we could give the player fortify acrobatics and slowfall and levitate for the fun of it. That would probably be the best thing about it.

We got Damiel to do the quests, we got GeorgeTheDavis on IRC who just picked up Blender and we got me. I think LordBerandas might make some high quality meshes if he ever gets the itch.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I'll be "fixing" the the moons... full, waxing, waning, new. (We can talk about that in the other thread.)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Zini wrote:We have something that we could release as a bug-fix release. [...]
What do you mean by "bug-fix release"? A maintenance release (0.39.1) or a minor version update (0.40.0)? I ask because at least the latter one would require a release video.
Zini

Post by Zini »

It would still be 0.40.0 since we do have some new features. But the bulk of the release would be bug fixes.

Regarding the Morrowind.ini file: I have given the situation some additional thought. I think we can go ahead with it. Here is the issue. Note that this task does not require any coding skill. If the Example Suite team feels the needs to release something without any dependencies on the copyrighted material, they can easily do the work themself.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Very nice!

Thank you Zini. What I'm worried about is when the Launcher comes up and asks you to "install" or point to an install of Morrowind. At this point you can hit cancel and be on your merry, but this requires a bit of thought.

I was thinking that a better solution would be if there is already a omwgame detected that this 'install morrowind' wizard won't run. However, it should still be left in the Launcher for later.

There might be some collision though because if we have default values, then import morrowind.ini, those values will be overwritten. This might require some more thought for in the future.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Its only a stop-gap solution anyway, since content created with OpenMW past the first stage of dehardcoding will not require the fallback values anyway. We could have a reset defaults function in the launcher, which eliminates the user fallback values. But I think that is all we can do here.

As for the MW install procedure, that should be handled in the wording of the message. Even if there is an omwgame file detected the user should still have the option to install MW. However we could test for game files and adjust the wording accordingly.