Acrobatics Task

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Epsilon

Re: Acrobatics Task

Post by Epsilon »

mikazo wrote:BrotherBrick, what program are you using for your computation?
Blame Sadler for showing me this and me for showing it to BrotherBrick. He's using Formulize, available at http://formulize.nutonian.com/

Really neat program. If you want the data set I'm using, I'm currently chewing on 1-100 with a new error metric on these: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22571912/Morro ... batics.fxp
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Wow, I was hoping you might post that. That is a long list of data. I will mess with it later.

You are trying to use the value found at 50 as the basis for values after 50 right?(using a different equation of course)
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Tarius wrote:Wow, I was hoping you might post that. That is a long list of data. I will mess with it later.

You are trying to use the value found at 50 as the basis for values after 50 right?(using a different equation of course)
Actually, it's using the exact value and the exact equation. I've spent a bit of time digging through Formulize's forums to figure out how to do it. Essentially, the fx() numbers represent variables. You'll also notice that I turned basically all the constants into variables while keeping the general structure of the equation (which fits really well and just needs a bit of tweaking.)

I've got Formulize chewing on the data - the only thing that really needs to be fixed in the formula is the "kink" on the 0 base/1 mult line at 50. Even if I can get it down to about 3 or 4 velocity difference, I think I'll be happy. If the difference isn't minimized, it'll be a strange situation with people jumping lower once they hit 50 skill. By the way, I misquoted earlier - 20 difference in the equation will result in roughly 1/3 of a unit of difference in jump height. I'm considering that my "acceptable error" value. ;p
ziozio

Post by ziozio »

Hi

Just been looking at the recent formulas posted, they look a bit complicated. Do you think morrowind would have such complicated formula's? Don't want to detract the good work lots of good effort so far!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

ziozio wrote:Hi

Just been looking at the recent formulas posted, they look a bit complicated. Do you think morrowind would have such complicated formula's? Don't want to detract the good work lots of good effort so far!
You're likely right but we'll never know. The only thing we can do is find (formula) something that matches the data close enough.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Hehe was thinking that too, looks like a random mashup of the properties with a heap of arbitrary multipliers. Which crazily enough appears to result in something like the original. :?
Perhaps the MW developers were just wacked when they set it up in the first place :twisted: . Or perhaps the skills don't translate into Morrowind exactly as they appear to player/scripts.
Shouldn't really matter(hopefully) I guess.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Well this is why when I mess with it I will simplify the values to see how close I can get with them.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

It doesn't look that complicated, for all we know the Morrowind developers might have just aimlessly shuffled variables and constants around until they liked the result without much thought about how nice the formula looked. I mean, it's not like someone might look it up ten years later ;)
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

ziozio wrote:Hi

They just look complicated because they've got a bunch of long numbers in 'em. ^_^

If we simplify, though... the baseline of BrotherBrick's equation turns out roughly the same as:
210 + AcrobaticsBase/1.6 + (Skill/16.3)^AcrobaticsMult

Just with an extra term in it. Remember, x * y = y / (1/x) - this lets us make a much cleaner equation, since dividing can give you all kinds of crazy numbers. :3
Epsilon

Proper equation time!

Post by Epsilon »

Okay, so here it is:
The Acrobatics Equation:

Code: Select all

if ( Skill < 50 )
  Velocity = 210.43 + AcrobaticsBase/1.6 + (Skill/16.22) ^ AcrobaticsMult
else
  Velocity = 210.43 + AcrobaticsBase/1.6 + (50.2/16.22) ^ AcrobaticsMult + 1.88 * Skill * AcrobaticsMult - 97.38*AcrobaticsMult
I know there should be a way to figure out the second half of the equation based on the first half, but I'm not sure how to do it in Formulize. Someone on IRC has suggested an alternate way of making it work, but I'll be damned if I could figure it out.

These equations have an error of roughly +/- 20 velocity, and more at higher skill values (these were tested with 1-100) or higher multipliers (which increases the error because it's exponential.) 20 velocity should mean no more than about 1/3 of a unit in height difference from stock Morrowind.

The next step in the process is going to be to work out how encumbrance and fatigue affect jumping. I'll see if I can get some test .esp files whipped up relatively soon, but the weekend is looking full for once. :P

Thanks to HiPhish for data points, BrotherBrick for CPU time, and really, everyone in this thread for inspiration and encouragement.
Last edited by Epsilon on 27 Jul 2012, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.