CTD(onstartup) because of missing Mod esm?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Violen

CTD(onstartup) because of missing Mod esm?

Post by Violen »

Ive disabled a mod I no longer want to use, Now Openmw wont run 0.0 im so confused. A save being borked i could understand, But my entire game not wanting to run now?? help.
AnyOldName3

Re: CTD(onstartup) because of missing Mod esm?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If it's a crash, you'll have a crash dump on Windows or a crash log on Unix, and there'll have been a popup when it crashed. You'll also have your regular log. We'll need both of those at the minimum.
Violen

Post by Violen »

Idk were such information would be.
The message that pops up sates that it could not load the 'patch for purist' esm. I removed that mod after a rough encounter with its author who seemed so moralely objectionable that I felt as tho the mod likely had malicious intent.. Or at the very least I didn't want their changes in my game.
an interesting note, after reenabling it(Just to see if it'd let me launch the game) I got a new error message that reads:
"patch for purists asks for a parent file morrowind.esm, but it has not been loaded yet, please check your load order.
recordtes3
subrecord DATA
Offset:0x1b5"

I should preface that I am trying to play the game after an uninstall/4 year break. I used vortex to recover my old mod list and switched too PLOX instead of mlox to sort my load order. I thought that maybe old mlox files might have been causing the issues so i deleted all the old files related too it. Didn't seem to help.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's not a crash. OpenMW's just refusing to start because you've told it to load files you've removed. In your openmw.cfg, there'll be a line saying content=Patch for Purists.esm, but none of the data=... lines specify directories that have a Patch for Purists.esm. You've told OpenMW to do something impossible, so it tells you, and then gives up.

The error about morrowind.esm means that either you've got no content=morrowind.esm line telling OpenMW to actually load Morrowind, or that it's listed after Patch for Purists, so loads later.

I don't know how you're transferring your mod setup from Vortex to OpenMW (as far as I'm aware, it doesn't have exporter plugins like MO2 does), but you need to do something to make sure OpenMW gets told your setup's changed when it's changed. That could be as simple as re-running the INI importer from OpenMW's launcher each time you have Vortex put mods in the game's Data Files directory, or making the same changes manually in OpenMW's launcher.
Violen

Post by Violen »

Thank you for your help, it pointed me in the right direction.
Turns out(*even tho i had previously uninstalled the game)I was using an older openmw from 2020 to try and launch the game. I thought my recent install of openmw automatically put it in my games directory. This directory was also missing the openmw launcher(old2020 version was what was actually in there). After finding the new Openmw I had to launch the setupwizard(which pointed it to my game) and from there I was able to play it.