What is OpenMW 1.0?

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
micidre

What is OpenMW 1.0?

Post by micidre »

This seems like the best place. My simple question is what is going to be 1.0?

At first I thought that it would be when the game is 100% playable, but it is already completable 100%.
Is it when all of the main aspects are dehardcoded or is the 1.0 completion unknown.
AnyOldName3

Re: What is OpenMW 1.0?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The gist of the definition is that it's when we're reasonably confident everything that worked in the original unmodified engine (i.e. without MCP, MWSE or MGE XE) also works in OpenMW. This is different from the game being 100% completable as there are a bunch of things that only make a subtle difference to the base game and don't stop you completing the game, and there are a bunch of things the original engine only did with modded content as the base game never used that capability.

Really, it won't make much difference to users. The last few things that block 1.0 will almost certainly be minor issues with super-obscure mods.
micidre

Post by micidre »

Thanks for the Clarification, it was confusing me why it still wasnt 1.0, but now it makes sense. :)

I just really want to see Co-op Fallout Tale of Two Wastelands :)
vk1970

Post by vk1970 »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 00:12 The gist of the definition is that it's when we're reasonably confident everything that worked in the original unmodified engine (i.e. without MCP, MWSE or MGE XE) also works in OpenMW. This is different from the game being 100% completable as there are a bunch of things that only make a subtle difference to the base game and don't stop you completing the game, and there are a bunch of things the original engine only did with modded content as the base game never used that capability.

Really, it won't make much difference to users. The last few things that block 1.0 will almost certainly be minor issues with super-obscure mods.
This would include being able to run the total/partial conversion projects and/or large mod additions (such as The Underground) without issues that only required the base game plus the official add-ons, wouldn't?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

In theory. There aren't that many issues left for The Underground, though, and there used to be loads.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 00:12 everything that worked in the original unmodified engine (i.e. without MCP, MWSE or MGE XE) also works in OpenMW.
And an only to achieve it is to use the original unmodified engine. There always will be edge cases which work in original engine, but do not work in OpenMW due to regressions, dependencies (e.g. Bullet or OSG) limitations or different design (multithreaded physics, pathfinding, client-server system and so on, when we sacrifice some edge cases to improve average ones).

So if we want to ever release 1.0, we eventually will need to decide "OK, current behaviour is a good enough approximation".
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's not exactly true. There's nothing about OSG that would stop us from implementing everything that exists in Morrowind.exe, things like multithreaded physics and navmesh-based pathfinding are fenced off behind options, and the client-server architecture shouldn't get in the way of base-game mechanics as anything frame-sensitive that moves from C++ to Lua doesn't need to run asynchronously, particularly in single-player. There'll be bugs that we don't know about when 1.0 releases, so will need fixing later, but we should be attempting to resolve all the ones we do know about.

The one exception is likely to be single-sided collision as we know Bullet doesn't support it, and are pretty sure none of its alternatives do, either, so our hands are tied. It's not too complicated to toggle whether an individual object has collision based on which side of it the player's on, though, and patch mods exist for many of the mods that depend on this behaviour already.