Game Crashes on MacOS 0.48 RC4 (Intel) whenever I use a stiltstrider

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Calibration

Game Crashes on MacOS 0.48 RC4 (Intel) whenever I use a stiltstrider

Post by Calibration »

I am running 0.48 with the MacOS RC4 (Intel build). My Mac has Ventura 13.0.1

Whenever I attempt to use a stilt strider with a test character the game crashes. I have tried multiple striders and destinations and it happens every time. Last version of 0.48 I tried was RC2 but I didn't test the stiltstriders then.

Also, I have installed gdb using homebrew in an attempt to get the crash log to work but that doesn't work. I get this

----

*** Fatal Error ***
Address not mapped to object (signal 11)
Address: 0x1c

Executing: gdb --quiet --batch --command=/tmp/gdb-respfile-8CMBZX

Failed to create a crash report. Please make sure that 'gdb' is installed and present in PATH then crash again.
Current PATH: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

----

The issue here seems to be is that gdb is installed into /usr/local/bin which is in my system PATH but not in the Current PATH listed above.
Calibration

Re: Game Crashes on MacOS 0.48 RC4 (Intel) whenever I use a stiltstrider

Post by Calibration »

A couple of further observations. The game does not crash EVERY time I use a stilt strider. Just quite frequently. I have not noticed a pattern. The game does not crash when I use boat services or at least so infrequently that I haven't come across it yet.

I can't generate a proper crash report because gdb is installed to /usr/local/bin which is not apparently where openmw expects it to be. Any suggestions on that would be welcome.

Should I really be reporting this on gitlab?
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Calibration wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 13:17 Any suggestions on that would be welcome.
Either add a /usr/local/bin to the PATH variable or add a symlink for GDB to /usr/bin
Calibration wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 13:17 Should I really be reporting this on gitlab?
Yes. Forum is a bad place to track bugs.
Calibration

Post by Calibration »

Thanks for the response.

/usr/local/bin is already in my PATH variable. The actual full contents of the PATH variable is not what is being reported in the crash log as my current PATH (see first post).

To add a symlink to /usr/bin I would need to disable Apple's system integration protection which I am loathe to do.

I see there has been a call for an RC5 build. If I continue to see problems when that comes out I will post something on gitlab. I will say now that with further testing the probability of crashing appears to be far higher when I generate a test character then when I generate a new character from afresh.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Calibration wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 17:47 The actual full contents of the PATH variable is not what is being reported in the crash log as my current PATH (see first post).
The PATH reported above is the actual current PATH, retrieved by the getenv("PATH") C function. It is what you pass to OpenMW when you launch it.
Andreaa23

Post by Andreaa23 »

I'm still getting this error, can't fix it yet lego 2k drive
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Also on RC10?

Are you running just plain vanilla or do you have mods? If mods, can you disable them all and try again?

If you have a save game, I can try to reproduce on my side.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Also, can you please say something to convince us you're not a robot as it looks like you've necroposted three old threads with generic responses as if you were trying to probe how many post approvals you need before your posts appear instantly?