Help requested determining origin of errors in logfile (and in game)

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
alex11235813

Help requested determining origin of errors in logfile (and in game)

Post by alex11235813 »

Hi,

I am playing OpenMW wiith a lot of pleasure, so thanks all :-)

I decided to go for it using the Total Overhaul Modlist, and I used Modmanager2 to install the mods, so i avoided any manual editting. Most seems to work ok when I play the game.

However, I see( on some locations) the yellow bo,xes and exlamation marks, meaning files/textures/etc are missing/cannot be found. The logfiles also indicate this (see below). However, I looked at the logfile in more detail, but that doesn't give me much more information apart from the errors.

My main question is:
  • How can I go about finding which mod causes the errors?
  • Can someone provide me any pointers on where to look for the missing files?
  • And maybe hints on how to fix?

Of course, the next step is fixing it. But I guess if I know which mod is causing it, that already helps me pointing to the location of the right files ( so then, either I reinstall the mod or i manually add the location in the .cfg)

Thanks a lot for any pointers or advise!

Best,

Alexander.

Examples of the logfile-errors.
I guess they speak for themselves in one way, but they don't allow me to find more information about which mod to look for:

Code: Select all

[10:03:11.749 E] Failed to load 'meshes\abot\ab01offerbowl.nif': Resource 'meshes/abot/ab01offerbowl.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:03:21.099 E] Execution of script 1gr_balmora_3Script failed: failed to find an instance of object 'llandras belaal'
[10:03:27.114 I] Playing music/explore/mx_explore_5.mp3
[10:04:18.992 E] Failed to load 'meshes\abot\ab01offerbowl.nif': Resource 'meshes/abot/ab01offerbowl.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:04:25.358 E] Failed to load 'meshes\am\am_bard2.nif': Resource 'meshes/am/am_bard2.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:04:25.424 E] Failed to load 'meshes\am\am_lute.nif': Resource 'meshes/am/am_lute.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:04:29.150 E] Failed to load 'meshes\abot\ab01offerbowl.nif': Resource 'meshes/abot/ab01offerbowl.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:05:40.125 E] Failed to load 'meshes\princess\1jw_painting10.nif': Resource 'meshes/princess/1jw_painting10.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:05:40.126 E] Failed to load 'meshes\princess\1jw_painting11.nif': Resource 'meshes/princess/1jw_painting11.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:05:40.137 E] Failed to load 'meshes\abot\ab01offerbowl.nif': Resource 'meshes/abot/ab01offerbowl.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:05:45.801 E] Failed to load 'meshes\am\am_eater.nif': Resource 'meshes/am/am_eater.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
As well as

[20:44:04.246 E] Cell reference 'unknown_grass' not found! 
and

[10:06:06.917 E] failed to render 'grs_ai_dirt0': Resource 'meshes/grass/grass_ai_sing_1.nif' not found
[10:06:06.918 E] failed to render 'grs_ai_dirt0': Resource 'meshes/grass/grass_ai_sing_1.nif' not found
[10:06:07.092 E] Failed to load 'meshes\am\am_lute.nif': Resource 'meshes/am/am_lute.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:06:09.997 E] Failed to load 'meshes\princess\1jw_painting10.nif': Resource 'meshes/princess/1jw_painting10.nif' not found, using marker_error instead
[10:06:09.997 E] Failed to load 'meshes\princess\1jw_painting11.nif': Resource 'meshes/princess/1jw_painting11.nif' not found, using marker_error instead

[10:06:05.669 W] Warning: addAnimSource: can't find bone 'bip01' in meshes\AM\II\Camonna.nif (referenced by meshes/xbase_anim.kf)
[10:06:05.670 W] Warning: addAnimSource: can't find bone 'bip01 head' in meshes\AM\II\Camonna.nif (referenced by meshes/xbase_anim.kf)
[10:06:05.670 W] Warning: addAnimSource: can't find bone 'bip01 l calf' in meshes\AM\II\Camonna.nif (referenced by meshes/xbase_anim.kf)
[
AnyOldName3

Re: Help requested determining origin of errors in logfile (and in game)

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm guessing you mean Mod Organizer 2 when you say mod Modmanager2 as if the latter is a real thing, it's certainly not a tool for modding Elder Scrolls games. I'm not completely sure whether you're using the OpenMW Export plugin, but I'd recommend doing so if you're not.

The first thing I'd say about the specific errors is that it'll be one of Abot's mods that's not installed correctly that generates the Failed to load 'meshes\abot\something.nif' errors. The ones referring to the am and princess directories might be from mods whose names or authors' names match the directory names, but if they are, I'm not familiar with them.

The most likely causes for this kind of error are:
  • The mod had optional files and you've not installed all the ones you needed.
  • You've extracted the mod incorrectly (e.g. if it's got a complicated directory structure, there might be several directories whose contents need combining together).
  • The mod depends on another mod, but you've not got that other mod.
Cell reference 'unknown_grass' not found! is caused by Remiros' Groundcover, and you can safely ignore it, or if you don't like the log spam, there's a tweaked version on the Nexus that doesn't emit this error message.

failed to render 'grs_ai_dirt0': Resource 'meshes/grass/grass_ai_sing_1.nif' not found

looks like you've got the ESP for a groundcover mod, but are missing one of its meshes. If you're using different groundcover mods for different regions, the ai means this is probably an Ascadian Isles one.

Warning: addAnimSource: can't find bone is, as the text suggests, just a warning, and you might be able to ignore it. If you have problems with whatever Camonna is, it might need fixing, but it could also just be a problem that has no symptoms in the original engine, so the mod author never noticed, and OpenMW warns about just in case.
alex11235813

Post by alex11235813 »

Hi AnyOldName,

Great, thanks for your reply !

I will go down your hints in more detail later on. However, first some responses and additional questionsto the initial part:
AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 17:14 I'm guessing you mean Mod Organizer 2 when you say mod Modmanager2 as if the latter is a real thing,
Yes, sorry, indeed I mean Mod Organizer 2.
AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 17:14 Iit's certainly not a tool for modding Elder Scrolls games.
Before I will spend too much time going down the wrong path, what is the best wat of modding Elder Scrolls?
And, can I start with what i have now, and move to some better way?
(and is this documented somewhere, because I ended up with ModManager2 after specifically searching for modding Open Morrowind...)
I'm not completely sure whether you're using the OpenMW Export plugin, but I'd recommend doing so if you're not.
I am using the export plugin to creat the .cfg file.

Thanks,

Alexander.
Last edited by alex11235813 on 29 Sep 2022, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'd personally recommend using Mod Organizer 2 (which you're still calling modmanager 2 for some reason) and the export plugin as it's what I find the most convenient, but I know other people find it less intuitive than I do. There's not really anything else that works as well for the later games, but Morrowind mods tend not to be packaged in ways mod managers can understand, so you still have to do some thinking for yourself. Other people would recommend doing everything manually, and recent builds of OpenMW's launcher have the ability to manage data directories so that's a little easier than it used to be.
alex11235813

Post by alex11235813 »

Right, thanks. Corrected now ( Mod Organizer v2.) .

However, I still find it hard to determine where the various errors come from.
I understand that you might - from your experience - know where they come from.
But, is there a way - in general - to determine which part of the game or which mod causes an error?
Or, for example, to see ingame where an item comes from / which file or mesh is used?

Thanks,
Alexander.
Last edited by alex11235813 on 29 Sep 2022, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

When you get an error about a missing mesh, you'll normally see a big yellow placeholder error marker where it would have been. If you open the console (usually the ~ or ` key depending on your keyboard layout), click on the error marker, and type ori, it'll tell you which content file told the engine to use that mesh. Similarly, if you get an error about missing textures, you'll normally see a magenta placeholder texture used instead, and can use the console in the same way to see the content file and the mesh file that required the texture. Other than that, it's just learning to spot patterns through experience. E.g. I recognise Abot as the name of a modder, so when I see his name in an error message, I can guess that it's one of his mods that's not working properly.
alex11235813

Post by alex11235813 »

Thanks a lot,

That was indeed what I was looking for!
It helps me to identify flaws, and also to determine if they are worthwhile solving.
( note that actually solving some of the errors still turns out to be hard, but it does give a clue about which mod to disable for example to see if it was the culprit somehow).

Thanks,

Alexander.
Esmirrasnda

Post by Esmirrasnda »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 18:30 I'd personally recommend using Mod Organizer 2 (which you're still calling modmanager 2 for some reason) and the export plugin as it's what I find the most convenient, but I know other people find it less intuitive than I do. There's not really anything else that works as well for the later games, but Morrowind mods tend not to be packaged in ways mod managers can understand, so you still have to do some thinking for yourself. Other people would recommend doing everything manually, and recent builds of OpenMW's launcher have the ability to manage data directories so that's a little easier than it used to be.
Thanks for your advice, it was very helpful for me bubble shooter
anyahane

Post by anyahane »

Esmirrasnda wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 05:38
AnyOldName3 wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 18:30 I'd personally recommend using Mod Organizer 2 (which you're still calling modmanager 2 for some reason) and the export plugin as it's what I find the most convenient, but I know other people find it less intuitive than I do. There's not really anything else that works as well for the later games, but Morrowind mods tend not to be packaged in ways mod managers can understand, so you still have to do some thinking for yourself. Other people would recommend doing everything manually, and recent builds of OpenMW's launcher have the ability to manage data directories so that's a little easier than it used to be.
Thanks for your advice, it was very helpful for me geometry dash
Many thanks for your response. I'm going to examine everything here.