Yellow glitches in place of objects.

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Astrovanallen

Yellow glitches in place of objects.

Post by Astrovanallen »

I'm using openmw .47 on an M1 MacBook Air 7 core gpu running macOS 11.5.1 and am experiencing the following issue that mostly manifests when facing in one direction and turning my view backwards :
20210817_133026.jpg
I'm using the gog game of the year version of Morrowind. I may have not provided enough information and apologies in advance if thats the case, any help would be greatly appreciated.
AnyOldName3

Re: Yellow glitches in place of objects.

Post by AnyOldName3 »

This is almost certainly a bug in Apple's OpenGL driver, like nearly every Mac-specific issue in OpenMW. They're even more common on M1 hardware, unfortunately, and there's not much we can do about many of them until either something like MoltenGL but open-source comes along, or we implement a native GLES backend and use ANGLE to translate that to Metal.
Astrovanallen

Post by Astrovanallen »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 19:31 This is almost certainly a bug in Apple's OpenGL driver, like nearly every Mac-specific issue in OpenMW. They're even more common on M1 hardware, unfortunately, and there's not much we can do about many of them until either something like MoltenGL but open-source comes along, or we implement a native GLES backend and use ANGLE to translate that to Metal.
That makes a lot of sense, I really won't ever get over Apple deprecating OpenGl. It's so silly when almost everything ever runs on it and this isn't a case of them adopting a better standard and then paving the way by using it to greater effect than previous ones. They come up with Metal, but if they're not gonna push for games beyond Apple Arcade, it's kind of unfair in my view to also ditch OpenGl. The stuff that has been ARM native runs incredibly well in my experience, but not much good when it doesn't support anything and I'm sure its probably an insane amount of work to get it translating to Metal for a group of people who already do so much. I'm just gonna end up satisfying my once a couple years replay on Android, which runs absolutely incredibly and it blows my mind that it was all done just for the sake of doing it.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Does Zink work over MoltenVK?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes ... uests/7383 got merged, so at least partially. I don't know whether it's going to be more or less buggy than Apple's native drivers at this stage, but it's pretty likely to be slower. It's still in the territory where big performance improvements come along reasonably often, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it eventually ends up faster and less buggy than Apple's drivers, but it's still two layers of translation (kinda three if you count Gallium), so I'd also be unsurprised if like-native performance doesn't come along until someone writes a Gallium-on-Metal driver and spends years optimising it.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

I think that "faster than Apple's native OpenGL driver" won't be hard to achieve considering how bad it is and how good the Metal driver is in comparison.
boeny

Post by boeny »

Astrovanallen wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 18:51 I'm using openmw .47 on an M1 MacBook Air 7 core gpu running macOS 11.5.1 and am experiencing the following issue that mostly manifests when facing in one direction and turning my view backwards :

20210817_133026.jpg
Try to turn all the shadows off, it helped me
TimmytheBarbarian

Post by TimmytheBarbarian »

boeny wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 01:32
Astrovanallen wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 18:51 I'm using openmw .47 on an M1 MacBook Air 7 core gpu running macOS 11.5.1 and am experiencing the following issue that mostly manifests when facing in one direction and turning my view backwards :

20210817_133026.jpg
Try to turn all the shadows off, it helped me

Yes. This right here.

I have the 2020 M1 MacBook Air and I love Morrowind. It had to be fixed.

This is everything I did and it fixed the problem:

turn off OBJECT and INTERIOR shadows under "Graphics-Lighting" in the openMW launcher
then
enable "auto use object/terrain normal/specular maps under "Advanced-Visuals" in the openMW Launcher

I use shaders compatibility in "Graphics-Lighting" in the openMW Launcher

the above fixed the issues I've had with red and yellow objects.

This summary is from the information gathered from this fantastic community and I hope it helps!

-TimmyTheBarbarian
davidbodmer

Post by davidbodmer »

This seems to have worked for me. Thank you