Objects placed in the CS not showing up in-game

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
FXN55

Objects placed in the CS not showing up in-game

Post by FXN55 »

I've been making some edits on a castle mod downloaded from the Nexus and have come across a frustrating issue. I was adding some static objects to the exterior; a signpost and sign, which were new additions, and replaced the existing table and chairs with some new models that I added. While the table and chairs show up in-game, the former objects are nowhere to be seen.

There is also an issue with the disappearing main entrance. During the course of my editing, I panned out to take a look at my handiwork and noticed that the door to the main entrance was missing. I was working on the second level and the main entrance is, of course, on the first, and had not even touched the main entrance. So, after puzzling on how this might have happened and coming up clueless, I replaced the door only to go to test and it not be there.

I was reading somewhere about omwaddon files becoming corrupted when saving while an instance dialog was open or some such buggery. I forget what it was exactly, but it didn't apply to my situation. However, there is some buggery going on, I'm sure. If anyone has any insight or solutions, please let me know. I'm using OpenMW-CS v.047. Reply and I'll give more details, as needed.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Objects placed in the CS not showing up in-game

Post by psi29a »

Can you try with 0.48 RC9 available in the thread here?
viewtopic.php?p=73657#p73657
FXN55

Post by FXN55 »

Not to seem ungrateful, but that is not the type of answer I was anticipating and furthermore I'm just not keen to install a release candidate, preferring to hold-out for a stable release. I mean, has v0.47 just become so bug-riddled that you devs have thrown up your hands and begun encouraging folks to test the latest RC? While that's not necessarily a bad thing, because I can understand your frustrations with anything and everything digital as I used to dabble in HTML, it just seems evasive to me.

To be quite honest, I've been working on this mod for a few months now and am getting anxious to play it. Putting it on a back burner while I sidetrack to go research how to configure a dual install is not what I was planning. Will it even be worthwhile? Don't know. I guess that's the nature of the beast known as alpha software, huh?

Let's say I have 0.48 RC9 installed all nice and pretty. I go back to my mod in the CS, perform the additions, again, then go to test and come to discover the same damned thing? Would I then get a viable answer to my problem or would you suggest I wait for a stable release? Which is most likely what I'll do anyway, as stated above, all the while stumbling and bumbling through the 0.47's idiosyncrasies.

The mod is nearly complete anyhow. I wasn't going to upload it back to Nexus or anywhere of the like. It's only for personal pleasure, so I can make some compromises in design and playability because my focus has been on the interior but first I have to come to terms with my castle not having a front door. There are three alternate entrances, however, and I'm not touching them with this CS.

I was so hoping to have a gallows outside the castle complete with a swinging body too. Ahh then, fare thee well brilliantly designed plans, dashed again by the evil bug minions of alpha software.

One thing to note before I close this post is that this seems to be an issue with exterior editing only, as I had a similiar quirk happening a few months back with another mod I was working on. But all additions to interior cells seem to stick. It was that damned Imperial fortified wall corner that refused to take hold no matter how many times I placed it. To be fair though, the wall corner was missing when I got the mod. It was that and some annoying typographical errors that inspired me to venture into the Construction Set in the first place. But I digress...

Thanks, but no thanks, psi29a and well wishes on the much anticipated release, at least on my part, of v0.48.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I understand you're frustration, but we are also doing this because we want to help.

There is over a years worth of changes to openmw-cs for 0.48, including a fix for proper deleting records which your post leads me to believe that it is related. Only way to be sure, is to try it out.

It would be a waste of everyone's time to dive into code from a year ago, only to find the problem was already fixed in an upcoming release. So better that we are all on the same page.

It also helps to take screenshots documenting the problem, film of the problem and links to the mods as well to help diagnosing the problem.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The merge base for 0.47 and master is actually 7be09078b4342dffd4bba47f3ef9cad413eafba3, which is nearly two years old rather than one. Obviously, we've fixed a lot of stuff in the intervening period and we can't all remember all of it. It's much faster to ask users wanting support to try a more recent build (remember, you can have multiple versions side-by-side) than to read through the changelog each time when the most likely resolution is that we'll say we fixed the problem a year ago and that they can either use a development build or wait.