Suggestion to add repair functionality for savegames

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
vividgamers20

Suggestion to add repair functionality for savegames

Post by vividgamers20 »

I would like to make a suggestion to add a repair functionality for savegames, similar to Wrye Mash. Except Wrye Mash still doesn't seem to be fully functional for OpenMW.
This may help with resolving issues like saves not loading and game crashing after playing for a while. Been having this issue since vanilla Morrowind.
Last edited by vividgamers20 on 24 Mar 2023, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Suggestion to add repair functionality for savegames

Post by psi29a »

Does OpenMW need this functionality? Do save games for OpenMW not load or crash the game?
vividgamers20

Post by vividgamers20 »

In my case, they have started happening already. It gets stuck just before it could load and this crashes the game, much like in vanilla Morrowind. This happens after I've been playing for many hours and so many quests are completed along the way. Many variables are changed as a result.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Have you filed a bug report with the affected savegames? Ideally there should be no need to repair a save because they shouldn't be bugged in the first place. Unlike the vanilla game, we can fix issues that lead to save/load problems, rather than resorting to repairing the saves themselves.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm also not sure we've ever had an issue with broken saved games - they've always turned out to be unrelated to the particular save (e.g. a build that always crashes when launching the game whether it's a new game or loaded from a save) or an issue with how we're loading the save.
vividgamers20

Post by vividgamers20 »

I've updated my dev build to the latest one. That seems to have solved the issue. Thank you.
I'll put in a support request if I encounter this issue again.