Portmod - Mod Manager

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
bmw

Re: Portmod - Mod Manager

Post by bmw »

acatlady wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 01:00 The weird thing is, the incorrect name doesn't appear in my openmw.cfg.
Is it possible that you're searching with the wrong case (openmw lowercases the filenames, so in the file it's likely got capitals)? It looks like this could be from true-nights-and-darkness, which seems to use spaces in all the textures it references, which I'm fairly sure is wrong. That should show up in openmw.cfg though.

Edit: this has been fixed. See here.
dildobaggins69

Post by dildobaggins69 »

Hello all,

OpenMW newbie here. I was scrolling through some modding documentation which stated that portmod could automatically install mod lists. However, I cannot find such lists or any information on how to install them.
From this I gather that there are none for OpenMW, yet. Could someone lend a hand in creating one? Since I am going to install the "Total Overhaul" modlist (Link to the lists I found), I would pack all of this in a Portmod list for other people to use (if that is possible). Where do I start?

Regards,
DB69
bmw

Post by bmw »

There are some of the mod lists from modding-openmw.com available in the "meta-momw" category: https://portmod.gitlab.io/openmw-mods/meta-momw/. Some them aren't up to date (most? all?) or are incomplete.

While the "Total Overhaul" list isn't included, as far as I'm aware it is (or was) equivalent to expanded-vanilla + graphics-overhaul. Note that graphics-overhaul is very incomplete (see #132, though I think some of those mods have been added since), while expanded-vanilla is complete for the date in the version of the package, but still out of date.
dildobaggins69 wrote: 01 May 2023, 06:40 Where do I start?
The Contributing guide is a good place.
In terms of updating the lists themselves, have a look at one of the packages for them: they are just a list of individual packages as runtime dependencies (RDEPEND), so once any mods which are missing have been added to the repository, they could be added to the list.

meta-momw/graphics-overhaul in particular is in a bit of a mess since it's both out of date and incomplete, so adding to it may not make sense without doing a thorough update to the new version (which should be done as a separate file; I'd been dating those since the lists don't have a version, ideally using the dates from the last update, which can be found here).
dildobaggins69

Post by dildobaggins69 »

bmw wrote: 02 May 2023, 01:35 There are some of the mod lists from modding-openmw.com available in the "meta-momw" category: https://portmod.gitlab.io/openmw-mods/meta-momw/. Some them aren't up to date (most? all?) or are incomplete.

While the "Total Overhaul" list isn't included, as far as I'm aware it is (or was) equivalent to expanded-vanilla + graphics-overhaul. Note that graphics-overhaul is very incomplete (see #132, though I think some of those mods have been added since), while expanded-vanilla is complete for the date in the version of the package, but still out of date.
dildobaggins69 wrote: 01 May 2023, 06:40 Where do I start?
The Contributing guide is a good place.
In terms of updating the lists themselves, have a look at one of the packages for them: they are just a list of individual packages as runtime dependencies (RDEPEND), so once any mods which are missing have been added to the repository, they could be added to the list.

meta-momw/graphics-overhaul in particular is in a bit of a mess since it's both out of date and incomplete, so adding to it may not make sense without doing a thorough update to the new version (which should be done as a separate file; I'd been dating those since the lists don't have a version, ideally using the dates from the last update, which can be found here).
Thanks.
I looked at the link you sent showing the existing list - how do I know the correct way to spell the mod name? -> e.g. "arch-misc/glow-in-the-dahrk[dark-molag-mar]", since the name of the mod is "Glow in the Dahrk".
Are those included in the import package "MW"?
bmw

Post by bmw »

dildobaggins69 wrote: 02 May 2023, 04:15 Thanks.
I looked at the link you sent showing the existing list - how do I know the correct way to spell the mod name? -> e.g. "arch-misc/glow-in-the-dahrk[dark-molag-mar]", since the name of the mod is "Glow in the Dahrk".
Are those included in the import package "MW"?
You use the package identifier. For existing packages, you should be able to find them by searching for the name since the "pretty" original name is stored in the NAME field. If they don't exist you would have to create the package (generally short lowercase identifiers separated by hyphens are used for consistency given that portmod is a CLI package manager and you have to type them).

E.g. arch-misc/glow-in-the-dahrk is this package. The [dark-molag-mar] on the end is a way of the package requesting that a specific option (use flag) is enabled.
tuxayo

Post by tuxayo »

Hi :)

I started playing openmw and I'm contemplating installing mods for quality of life improvements, fixes and perf improvements.
Such as this list: https://modding-openmw.com/lists/i-heart-vanilla/

It's already 22 mods, a bit tedious to install and will be a pain to keep up to date.

So to avoid that and also help other people, would it work to do this?:
- take this list https://gitlab.com/portmod/openmw-mods/ ... .1.pybuild
- check if all the packages exists in the repo and the pending merge requests
- and submit updates for those out of date (after reading CONTRIBUTING.md)
- update the list
- run
- ???
- profit (submit the list update)
bmw

Post by bmw »

tuxayo wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 04:32 So to avoid that and also help other people, would it work to do this?:
That would be great! And yes, that's more or less the idea.

You might want to look at importmod for any brand-new packages that need to be created (installable with pip). It's mentioned in the CONTRIBUTING file, but since has gotten an interactive mode which makes package generation a little easier. Probably the easiest way to use it is importmod import --interactive -o openmw <mod_url> (where mod_url could be a direct download link, or a nexusmods/moddinghistory/github/gitlab homepage). -o openmw will produce the output in your openmw package repository.
It may not be the most stable since I'd recently rewritten a bunch of it and haven't been working on it much since. There are a few bugfixes in the development version which might help with that.