Building Support: PS4 OpenOrbis toolchain

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
endlesseden
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/EndlessEden

Building Support: PS4 OpenOrbis toolchain

Post by endlesseden »

I seen its been discussed in the past, about supporting non-pc platforms, and specifically the caveats with it. However i agreed with the final parts of the discussion. As long as the support/builds are not actively advertised 1st party, it remains safe to do so.

In that mind, at the time of the post (viewtopic.php?t=5252), the only toolchain availible was the official one from Sony. Since then however several different toolchains that dont rely on Sony's proprietary libraries, have been released. The most popular one i could find that should be OpenMW licence compatible is "OpenOrbis"(https://github.com/OpenOrbis).

At the time of commenting it seems feature complete, leveraging the LLVM compiler chain and supporting several support libraries like SDL(2) and MUSL. | while im unsure of the functionality and support of other portions of the toolchain with OpenMW specific dependencies. Given its LLVM base, it should be quite compatible with the modern compiler. But this is not my area of expertise.

---

I realise this is a low-priority at best, however, OpenMW is superior to the Morrowind ports that existed in previous Console revisions. Even with emulation of that hardware on the console natively. The quality and accuracy is still superior and playability beyond measure.

So i plead, please consider this request for a "port".
darkbasic

Re: Building Support: PS4 OpenOrbis toolchain

Post by darkbasic »

Doesn't PS4 use DX12 for its graphic API? That would require OpenGL over Vulkan over DX12 at least. Not sure about the other APIs.
AnyOldName3

Re: Building Support: PS4 OpenOrbis toolchain

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The Xbox One and later use 'DirectX 12', but it's not quite the same DirectX 12 as Windows uses, and Sony's the company that makes the PS4, so they wouldn't support a Microsoft-specific APi in the first place. Also, once we have native GLES support, provided there aren't any bugs that affect us but not Chrome, ANGLE should provide a way to target graphics APIs like Direct3D 12 without jumping through an intermediate Vulkan-shaped hoop. It doesn't have a backend for the PS4's native API, though, and it seems that attempts to get an OpenGL ES implementation for homebrew on the PS4 dried up in 2018.