The Configuration Situation

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: The Configuration Situation

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote:
I think it should be run by dpg/rpm/whatever install scripts.
Sounds difficult. Can cmake handle this task? If it can, I don't know how. Originally the idea was to embed a special escape sequence into the path string, that would be interpreted as a registry key, which then would have been inserted by OpenMW after somehow fetching the matching data from the registry.
Hmm, I don't know if CMake can handle this but I will check.
Zini wrote: I have no fundamental objections to doing it during install instead of during runtime, but if we go down this route we need to have a proper installer for Windows for the next release.
I think preparing Windows installator isn't something hard - there are some "well known" installators like
Nullsoft intaller or Inno setup - they only need some content (OpenMW binaries) and proper settings to which directory install binaries.
Zini

Post by Zini »

AFAIK CPack can generate Windows installer. We just need someone to look into what changes to the cmake scripts are required.

btw. I saw your pull requests. Seems okay, but I don't have the time to look into it right now. Will merge either (much) later this evening or tomorrow.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote:AFAIK CPack can generate Windows installer. We just need someone to look into what changes to the cmake scripts are required.
OK.
Zini wrote: btw. I saw your pull requests. Seems okay, but I don't have the time to look into it right now. Will merge either (much) later this evening or tomorrow.
OK, no problem.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I ran into a problem whilst making an Arch package.

It seems that OpenMW doesn't conform to the freedesktop.org standards. The global path for linux is currently defined as:

Code: Select all

theBasePath = "/etc/"+parApp+"/";
But the freedesktop.org specification says it should be /etc/xdg/"yourapp." At least, that's the standard value for the $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS environment value and it's respected by most distros.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

pvdk wrote:I ran into a problem whilst making an Arch package.

It seems that OpenMW doesn't conform to the freedesktop.org standards. The global path for linux is currently defined as:

Code: Select all

theBasePath = "/etc/"+parApp+"/";
But the freedesktop.org specification says it should be /etc/xdg/"yourapp." At least, that's the standard value for the $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS environment value and it's respected by most distros.
Thanks, I missed this. I will fix it in a few moments.

// EDIT: You're probably looking into some old code. "New config" uses /etc/xdg directory, please see:
https://github.com/zinnschlag/openmw/bl ... uxpath.cpp
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yeah, but we are talking about the 0.11.1 release here which still uses the old config system. Can we work around it for now? The new system should fix the problem for 0.12.0 (once it has been a bit more tested).
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Yeah, I'm just going to install to /etc/openmw for now.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I added the two missing issues listed above to the OpenMW 0.12 roadmap. How are we progressing?
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

EDIT: nevermind