Journal encoding problem

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Blur

Journal encoding problem

Post by Blur »

Hello everyone!
I'm having a problem with the journal entries encoding. I used to play couple of years ago on a 0.46 version of OpenMW, and when I was done I copied savefile (.omwsave) to be able to continue whenever i feel like it. The day has come, I installed OpenMW on a fresh system, retrieved my backup save file and when I launched the game and open a journal, I saw nothing but question marks. Otherwise the save works great. I tried switching the language, but nothing worked.

I attached both screenshot of the journal and save file too.
Does anyone have any idea what might be the solution?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Journal.PNG
Journal.PNG (967.64 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
savefile.7z
(847.16 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
AnyOldName3

Re: Journal encoding problem

Post by AnyOldName3 »

What OS, and what's your system encoding set to? Also, what language does your Morrowind install use?
Blur

Post by Blur »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 17:38 What OS, and what's your system encoding set to? Also, what language does your Morrowind install use?
Win 10, system encoding is win-1251 (Russian), Morrowind's language is English, and last time I was also using the same language settings and everything was okay.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Is the new version you've tried 0.47, a dev build, or a 0.48 release candidate? We've made some changes to some text encoding stuff recently, so there's a chance we've broken the situation where the local eight-bit encoding doesn't match the game encoding.
Blur

Post by Blur »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 17:16 Is the new version you've tried 0.47, a dev build, or a 0.48 release candidate? We've made some changes to some text encoding stuff recently, so there's a chance we've broken the situation where the local eight-bit encoding doesn't match the game encoding.
Well, I've tried 0.47 first, then uninstalled it and got 0.46 (which I used when played before), but no luck, still question marks in journal
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

I have a suspicion that you actually used a non-English game or mods in your old setup, so a non-English text got into savegame. In this case your current OpenMW installation just can not display that non-Latin characters.

If you attach an affected savegame, we will be able to check what is actually stored in your journal.