How to install OpenMW from tar.gz?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Yora

How to install OpenMW from tar.gz?

Post by Yora »

I got a new computer, set up Fedora 35 on it as the new OS, and I'm now trying to install OpenMW.

But I can't find the download for it.

The Downloads page sends me to "Install from RPM Fusion repository", but unless I am complete idiotic there is no download link on that page.

I have the RPM Fusion repositories enabled on my computer, but it says there is no openmw package in it.

Code: Select all

[root@fedora ****]# dnf install openmw
Last metadata expiration check: 2:51:24 ago on Sat 17 Sep 2022 11:33:52 AM CEST.
No match for argument: openmw
Error: Unable to find a match: openmw
This used to work in the past without a hitch, but now the package appears to no longer exist.

The OpenMW installation guide says to "Simply download the latest version for your operating system from github.com/OpenMW/openmw/releases and run the install package once downloaded."
There does not seem to be anything called "install" in that package. What are you supposed to do with it? The readme included in the package does not have any information about installation in it.

The file "README.packagecontents.txt" says:
"To run openmw or an utility simply run the provided shell script (the file without a suffix -> <filename> not <filename>.x86_64). In case of openmw this would be "openmw" not openmw.x86_64."
So I just tried this, but it didn't work either.

[****@fedora openmw-0.47.0-Linux-64Bit]$ sudo bash openmw
[16:14:07.093 I] Crash handler installed
[16:14:07.181 I] Loading config file: /mnt/data/Downloads/openmw-0.47.0-Linux-64Bit/openmw.cfg
[16:14:07.183 I] OpenMW version 0.47.0
[16:14:07.183 I] Revision: 958dd94978
[16:14:07.183 I] Using default (English) font encoding.
[16:14:07.183 E] No content file given (esm/esp, nor omwgame/omwaddon). Aborting...
[****@fedora openmw-0.47.0-Linux-64Bit]$ 
LoneWolf

Re: How to install OpenMW from tar.gz?

Post by LoneWolf »

sudo bash openmw
The tarball you downloaded is meant to be used by normal users and should only need extracting to a user-writable folder.
Since you probabty want to use an existing morrowind install for files openmw is not allowed toi ship, you will need to configure several things.

This is much easier done through the launcher, start with openmw-launcher .
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: How to install OpenMW from tar.gz?

Post by psi29a »

Please, don't use sudo. OpenMW does not need such privileges.