Some SFX sounds are almost inaudible

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
ClwnWrldCtzn

Some SFX sounds are almost inaudible

Post by ClwnWrldCtzn »

Some SFX sounds like menu/interface clicking, ambient sounds (water, wind) are almost inaudible to the point that i have to put the volume of my speakers to the max to hear them clearly. So, how do i change the volume of those particular sounds? Is there any setting in the cfg files i can change? I've already looked into the settings.cfg and openmw.cfg files but i didn't find anything i could change related to audio except the basic settings from the menu, although i have the Effects slider to the max.
The ambient sounds are fundamental to enjoy the Morrowind experience to the fullest, the game sounds dead and dull without them and it's a shame because it kills the best aspect of this game, the atmosphere.
Chris

Re: Some SFX sounds are almost inaudible

Post by Chris »

Some sounds are supposed to be quiet. If you've turned the volume up for them in the options menu, you can then try turning down the volume for the other things so they don't overpower the ambient and UI sounds. Music in particular has a habit of drowning out ambient sounds in almost every game ever. If you use a mod to add more ambient sounds to the world, adding a mod that includes some silent music tracks can help the ambient sounds to be heard.
ClwnWrldCtzn

Post by ClwnWrldCtzn »

I don't think music is the problem in this case because i've tested the sound with the vanilla unmodded Morrowind with all the sliders maxed out and i could hear everything clearly, the clicking effect and the ambient sounds as it should be. And also there's these "ASMR Morrowind ambience to relax" videos on youtube and you can hear all the ambient sounds loud and clear. I believe the problem is with OpenMW itself because certain sounds sound so much quieter than in vanilla Morrowind.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Is there any chance you've got sound mods, weird settings, or some weird OS configuration that might be causing this? This is the kind of thing we'd have regular complaints about if it affected everyone. E.g. I once had a damaged wire in some headphones with an intermittent connection that managed to filter out specific frequencies and ended up making me think I'd somehow ended up listening to a karaoke playlist as all the vocals were gone from my music.
ClwnWrldCtzn

Post by ClwnWrldCtzn »

No, i don't have any sound mods and there's nothing wrong with my system either because like i said i've tested the sound of vanilla unmodded and unpatched Morrowind and everything sounds like it should. Now i remember reading somewhere a release note of an older build and there was something about some changes to the audio regarding certain SFX sounds being too loud, so my guess is you guys messed with the sound.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I've tried it again and matched all the in-game volume sliders between both engines, and water noises are definitely quieter in OpenMW when you're standing next to, but not in, water.
heravinluca

Post by heravinluca »

I also don't like the clicking sound. That's so noisy :v
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »