Frequent crashes for seemingly no reason

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
LynnLantern

Frequent crashes for seemingly no reason

Post by LynnLantern »

Trying to play Morrowind for the first time on OpenMW 0.47 and I'm getting frequent random crashing. I don't know why this is happening and I can't find a fix anywhere online. I am using a handful of mods but turning them all off and trying to play I still get crashes constantly. Most frequently it's when just walking around or entering a building and my game will freeze and then stop working. Any assistance would be appreciated
AnyOldName3

Re: Frequent crashes for seemingly no reason

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Have you updated Radeon drivers to the optional version in the last week or so? They put out an experimental update that's much faster, but crashes loads, and it's affected a lot of users as they've not labelled it as a crashy experimental version.
LynnLantern

Post by LynnLantern »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 21:34 Have you updated Radeon drivers to the optional version in the last week or so? They put out an experimental update that's much faster, but crashes loads, and it's affected a lot of users as they've not labelled it as a crashy experimental version.
Yes I did. I'm rolling back the drivers and will update if that was the issue
Last edited by LynnLantern on 09 Aug 2022, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
LynnLantern

Post by LynnLantern »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 21:34 Have you updated Radeon drivers to the optional version in the last week or so? They put out an experimental update that's much faster, but crashes loads, and it's affected a lot of users as they've not labelled it as a crashy experimental version.
Well that seemingly fixed the crashing but now my FPS has been destroyed. I used to get consistent 144 and now I get 50-60 in towns.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That sounds about right. The newer drivers crash a lot less if you use the environment variable that makes OpenMW use VBOs. If you want, set OSG_VERTEX_BUFFER_HINT to VERTEX_BUFFER_OBJECTS, e.g. via a PowerShell script or batch file that launches OpenMW.