Flickering carpets when moving?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
pierreangelique

Flickering carpets when moving?

Post by pierreangelique »

Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows of a possible solution for this issue.

When I am in interiors, the carpet textures get darker when I am moving and then then when I stand still they get lighter. So basically there is a flickering effect produced as I move, with the carpets getting lighter or darker, seemingly alternating between these two states.

As far as I can tell, this issue is only noticeable with the carpets in the game.

I have some mods installed (using the most basic vanilla enhanced modlist for OpenMW), but I disabled all mods for testing and still have the same issue. I also tried a fresh install with no mods and have the same issue.

I googled this issue and some people complained of a flickering issue years ago (around 2016), related to AMD drivers. I do have a AMD gpu (rx6400), but the drivers are fully up to date.

I tried changing to "legacy" lighting as well and the issue still persists. Whether I choose "Legacy," "Shader Compatibility," or "Shaders" it doesn't make a difference.

Any idea what the issue could be?

Edit: I misspoke when I said it is only carpets. It seems to affect many objects, like baskets, and some of the details on character's clothing. The carpets were just where I first noticed it.
Last edited by pierreangelique on 30 Jul 2022, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Re: Flickering carpets when moving?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

When you say the drivers are fully up to date, if that includes installing the optional drivers, that could be the problem. AMD just shipped an optional update that massively improves performance in OpenMW (yay!) but introduces a load of bugs and crashes (aww), so downgrading to the recommended drivers instead might fix any issues you're seeing.
pierreangelique

Hi, thanks for the response. I have the most recent 22.7.1 drivers from AMD (and am enjoying the increased performance), however I had this issue before updating so I do not think it is related to the most recent AMD drivers.

Strangely, today I tested Morrowind on a completely different system (Intel 10700k + 1070ti) and I experienced the same issue, which is a bit maddening as I though that it must be driver related. That is on a vanilla unmodded install of Morrowind as well and an unmodded install of OpenMW.

So I am wondering if it could be monitor related? I am sort of scratching my head though because it is not a general flickering of the entire screen, rather it is particular objects within the game world. Carpets / rugs, baskets, and a few other things now I am noticing have this flickering.

Interestingly, if I wait until the camera starts panning around me in third person, from doing nothing, none of the objects are flickering. It is only when I am in control of the camera and moving it or walking that it flickers.
Last edited by pierreangelique on 30 Jul 2022, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Any way you can record this by capture or your mobile?
pierreangelique

Here is a capture I did with my phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwQZBP ... eAngelique
Chris

Post by Chris »

Looks like the result of ghosting or smearing. With strips of high contrast colors, if the pixels in your monitor take a long time to transition between brightness levels, they can't fully reach the target brightness before it needs to start showing the next frame, so movement in areas of high contrast end up causing colors to stay in darker ranges with no time to reach the bright colors. Once movement stops, the pixels then have time to reach the proper brightness.
pierreangelique

Interesting, thank you. I have a VA panel monitor, so that must be accentuating the issues with contrast and smearing then.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm not sure that's what the problem is. Two ideas to be more sure:
  • Record an API trace and upload it. There's a sticky thread explaining this.
  • Record a video on your computer itself, e.g. with OBS.
Neither of these will include the problem if it's genuinely with your monitor, so then we'll be more sure it's not something we can fix.
pierreangelique

Well I tried making an obs recording and the flickering seems to still be present. It is a bit subtler that the recording of the monitor but the same flickering behavior is still going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axgFvWh ... eAngelique

I will try to set up the API trace recording in a bit.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm not seeing it at all when watching the video on my machine, so I think it might be a limitation of your monitor after all. It's likely subtler when you watch it because the video compression's discarding part of the data that causes it. You can probably confirm it's not present in the video by watching it back on another device you've got access to.