"out of memory" error in log

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Frank6

"out of memory" error in log

Post by Frank6 »

Hey all. I keep getting random crashes in-game and when I look at the log it says "Warning: detected OpenGL error 'out of memory' at after RenderBin::draw(..)" numerous times. Would getting more RAM help solve this problem?
AnyOldName3

Re: "out of memory" error in log

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you're using integrated graphics on hardware with very little RAM, this could genuinely be that you've run out of graphics memory and need more. Usually when we see that error, though, it's down to a driver bug, as OpenMW doesn't use much VRAM at all by modern standards. Can you tell us more about your system?
Frank6

Post by Frank6 »

I read somewhere that sometimes OpenMW can use the integrated graphics card instead but when I checked task manager it showed my GPU as being used. I do use mods and changed the draw distance so I was thinking maybe that can be the problem and maybe getting more RAM will help out. The draw distance seemed to cause a lot of stuttering making my camera flip backwards or in the opposite direction. I have a GTX 1080, i9-11900k, and 16 GBs of RAM.
Last edited by Frank6 on 01 Jul 2022, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
polynomial

Post by polynomial »

Just to confirm the GPU question, because it seems the likely culprit. It's a problem on some laptops (if on a laptop) with NVIDIA graphics cards not to use the NVIDIA GPU (on many games, not just OpenMW). Though it still may show load in the task manager, it may actually not be using it for OpenMW.

To confirm:

Go to your NVIDIA control panel -> "Manage 3D Settings" -> select "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor"

I have weaker specs and don't have this issue. It took some fiddling to get OpenMW to rightly use the NVIDIA card. Might even have to Google it.

If that doesn't help: What is your viewing distance set to? OpenMW Launcher->Advanced->Visuals->Viewing distance
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Even if you are using integrated graphics, with 16GB of memory, they shouldn't be running out. I don't think the 11900K is in any laptops, though, so unless you've accidentally plugged your monitor into your motherboard, you should always be using the dedicated card. I'm inclined to think that either you've used seriously crazy settings or mods, or more likely, it's a GPU driver bug and upgrading it will make the problem go away. To be on the safe side, can you share your openmw.log, settings.cfg and openmw.cfg, which you can find with https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... -log-files
Frank6

Post by Frank6 »

polynomial wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 15:38 Just to confirm the GPU question, because it seems the likely culprit. It's a problem on some laptops (if on a laptop) with NVIDIA graphics cards not to use the NVIDIA GPU (on many games, not just OpenMW). Though it still may show load in the task manager, it may actually not be using it for OpenMW.

To confirm:

Go to your NVIDIA control panel -> "Manage 3D Settings" -> select "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor"

I have weaker specs and don't have this issue. It took some fiddling to get OpenMW to rightly use the NVIDIA card. Might even have to Google it.

If that doesn't help: What is your viewing distance set to? OpenMW Launcher->Advanced->Visuals->Viewing distance
Task manager does say my GPU is being used, but Ill try the Nvidia settings, thanks. As for my drawing distance, I changed it up a bit but if I remember correctly I had followed a guide. I have viewing distance = 56320 and object paging min size = 0.023.

Edit:
I just checked my control panel and I dont have this option for "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor". I looked at some guides online and they indicate that it should be above the settings but it is missing. I noticed others have this not available as-well.
Last edited by Frank6 on 02 Jul 2022, 12:07, edited 3 times in total.
Frank6

Post by Frank6 »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 17:21 Even if you are using integrated graphics, with 16GB of memory, they shouldn't be running out. I don't think the 11900K is in any laptops, though, so unless you've accidentally plugged your monitor into your motherboard, you should always be using the dedicated card. I'm inclined to think that either you've used seriously crazy settings or mods, or more likely, it's a GPU driver bug and upgrading it will make the problem go away. To be on the safe side, can you share your openmw.log, settings.cfg and openmw.cfg, which you can find with https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... -log-files
Im using a desktop and my monitor isn't plugged into my motherboard. I can share my settings.cfg and openmw.cfg but they have changed because I deleted OpenMW content and installed TES3MP instead because I was getting strange performance with OpenMW and I like the cell reset ability/respawning. The crashes do occur in TES3MP but the performance seems a bit better. I included the TES3MP log just in case.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9gso9vtp ... s.rar/file
Last edited by Frank6 on 02 Jul 2022, 11:58, edited 2 times in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You don't have the option to select the High-Performance NVIDIA Processor because you're on a desktop computer and that's the only one that's connected to the screen, so it always gets used.

As mentioned already, the root cause is likely a GPU driver bug, and upgrading that should make the problem go away. Is that something you've tried yet?
Frank6

Post by Frank6 »

Thanks for the information. I have not tried updating my graphic drivers yet, I will attempt and see if it solves anything. However, I did notice in your previous reply something about "seriously crazy settings". Did any of my settings in settings.cfg look over the top?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Nothing looks mad. lighting method = shaders compatibility is the slowest lighting method for the hardware you've got, though.