Oculus Quest VR port

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
tomtastico

Oculus Quest VR port

Post by tomtastico »

Hello, given that OpenMW works in Android, how feasible could be a port to Oculus Quest, to be able to play in VR?

I tried running the current Android version and it worked fine in 2D mode (Oculus TV), just like in a phone. So I think it's a matter of adding the VR bindings and controls.
cercata

Re: Oculus Quest VR port

Post by cercata »

The ball is now on Facebook's roof:
"Oculus says they plan to provide runtime support for apps built for OpenXR on Rift and Quest later this year."

https://www.roadtovr.com/openxr-0-9-pro ... entations/

Rift port was technically posible since some time ago, but it wasn't done because some supposed licensing problems between GPL and the Oculus SDK, and with OpenXR that shouldn't be a problem anymore
carademono

Post by carademono »

I know that there's a VR fork in progress... Will it only support PCVR or will it also support the Oculus Quest? I just got my Quest 2 and OpenMW on this device would be... something.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm not convinced the Quest running on its own is actually powerful enough to run OpenMW at a VR-friendly framerate, so even if it becomes possible, I wouldn't expect it to be a good experience.
carademono

Post by carademono »

That's a shame :cry: But would that be the case even for the Quest 2? Its processor feels waaaay more powerful than the original Quest. It might be able to run vanilla unmodded OpenMW without too much strain.
adhoc42

Post by adhoc42 »

Morrowind on Quest 2 FPS report: I sideloaded the android port and on default graphics settings in outdoor areas like Balmora it ran at about 120fps! So even with the high fps need for VR comfort and the double rendering for the 3d effect, I think it would definitely be feasible on medium settings from the technical specs standpoint
Belroar

Post by Belroar »

Please make this port for Meta Quest 2 happen, it would make up for the lack of a good VR RPG for Quest 2
Belroar

Post by Belroar »

I managed to open morrowind vr directly on Oculus Quest 2 and in my opinion it works perfectly, but this project seems to be abandoned, here's the link for those who want to test it:

https://github.com/demonixis/TES3Unity
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's a completely unrelated project to OpenMW.