Issues Creating a New NPC

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
decabytes

Issues Creating a New NPC

Post by decabytes »

Dipping my toes into some Morrowind Modding. I went through the A Tour through OpenMW CS guide and learned how to put a ring in the various places in game. I wanted to test out putting an NPC in the game but I couldn't find a guide for OpenMW CS so I'm just guessing.
1. I created a new object that was an npc and looked at another npc in the game to configure the attributes
2. I added the npc to a location in Balmora
3. I added a topic "The Test Topic" to the Topics table
4. I added the same Topic to the TopicInfo Table and Assigned my new NPC as the actor

But I'm running into a few issues. When I load my game I see the NPC in Balmora, I can talk to him and barter, train etc. But He is naked even thought I added stuff to his inventory and set the stock to 1. In the ring guide it said that items would be equipped unless they are stock 3. Also my topic isn't showing up in the dialogue. The conditions for the topic are Not Local and NoLore = 0. My NPC has the nolore Script attached to him. I'm just guessing though. I just want the topic to show up without any special conditions but the only thing I see is the topic "Solstheim". Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Also is there another reference I can use to learn more about the different options in OpenMW CS? Things like
1. What does npc reputation do?
2. What does it mean for an npc to be persistent
3. What does Rank -1 in TopicInfo mean?
4. What is PC Rank -1 in TopicInfo?

and so on and so forth. Thanks for the taking the time to read my post!
Loriel

Re: Issues Creating a New NPC

Post by Loriel »

I think you are missing the activation of the topic you have added. Use "AddTopic" on the player character, either in the console or in script, typically run from your npc. After that, the topic will appear in conversation with any npc with that topic and topicinfo defined.

I don't know of any extensive documentation on creating npcs. You may find "Morrowind Scripting for Dummies" helpful, the latest version is online at https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind_Mod: ... or_Dummies. There is an extensive Mod Makers Manual downloadable from Emma's site at http://lovkullen.net/Emma/tutorials.html, though it appears to be heavily aimed at users of the original MW construction set.

Loriel