OpenMW 0.47.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMW 0.47.0

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Currently, MGE XE compatible groundcover is on a branch with a merge request. Builds for merge requests can be found in the Pipelines tab of the merge request's page, and downloaded and installed in the same way as the master-branch builds that replaced our nightlies a few months ago.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

mistermoonshine wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 03:22 I made a short showcase video for 0.47. Similar to the last one I made for 0.46 a couple years ago if anyone remembers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6jK6TuCCI
Hm, I like that video. :) It takes a completely different approach than our official release commentaries but it demonstrates the (graphical) capabilities of our engine quite nicely. As I once commented under your normal-maps video, you cover things I didn't have the time to deal with in detail.

I'll gladly refer to your video in the official commentary. Ideally, we would synchronise the release of your showcase videos and our more technical ones in the future. What do you think? If you ask me, everyone could benefit from this.
mistermoonshine

Post by mistermoonshine »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 16:06 Currently, MGE XE compatible groundcover is on a branch with a merge request. Builds for merge requests can be found in the Pipelines tab of the merge request's page, and downloaded and installed in the same way as the master-branch builds that replaced our nightlies a few months ago.
Welp I didn't know that. I blundered my way into finding out how to download the nightly, I didn't know the merges were also available for download. I'll know for the next time at least.
Atahualpa wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 16:47
mistermoonshine wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 03:22 I made a short showcase video for 0.47. Similar to the last one I made for 0.46 a couple years ago if anyone remembers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6jK6TuCCI
Hm, I like that video. :) It takes a completely different approach than our official release commentaries but it demonstrates the (graphical) capabilities of our engine quite nicely. As I once commented under your normal-maps video, you cover things I didn't have the time to deal with in detail.

I'll gladly refer to your video in the official commentary. Ideally, we would synchronise the release of your showcase videos and our more technical ones in the future. What do you think? If you ask me, everyone could benefit from this.
That's a good idea. It's kinda too late now for 0.47 as I have already uploaded it... but I can do one for the next release. Anyway, it may build some hype for 0.47 release. I love pushing the graphical fidelity of Bethesda games and OpenMW is particularly enticing because it is improving Morrowind's visuals in ways MGE XE cannot. I can showcase with a full mod list whatever new graphics features OpenMW includes and let you guys know here so we can release at the same time.

I did make that normal map video, and was planning on doing more, but I have another much more successful YT channel that I decided to focus on. This small video did not take too much time, only a couple of days. I can't say if I will make more videos like the normal map video in the future, but I would like to at some point.
vtastek

Post by vtastek »

mistermoonshine wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 17:15 ...
That's a good idea. It's kinda too late now for 0.47 as I have already uploaded it... but I can do one for the next release.
Hey, your video looks really cool. Maybe we would be lucky to have animated grass, A2C and soft shadows for the next release.
mistermoonshine

vtastek wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 20:25
mistermoonshine wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 17:15 ...
That's a good idea. It's kinda too late now for 0.47 as I have already uploaded it... but I can do one for the next release.
Hey, your video looks really cool. Maybe we would be lucky to have animated grass, A2C and soft shadows for the next release.
Thanks. I managed to find and install the build with animated grass, it's working really well already.
mistermoonshine

Decided to experiment with another type of video that can help advertise, for lack of a better word, the project. A short demonstration of the third person features in 0.47. simple and quick to make. Video is unlisted in case anyone has any suggestions or criticisms or if you want to put it on the main channel, I don't mind but it is in 21:9 aspect ratio so it will look different from the other 16:9 videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsGjp3lG0ww
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

mistermoonshine wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 22:20 Decided to experiment with another type of video that can help advertise, for lack of a better word, the project. A short demonstration of the third person features in 0.47. simple and quick to make. Video is unlisted in case anyone has any suggestions or criticisms or if you want to put it on the main channel, I don't mind but it is in 21:9 aspect ratio so it will look different from the other 16:9 videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsGjp3lG0ww
I plan to go in a similar direction to present that feature. - Additionally, a quick look at the launcher options and a demonstration of the "shoulder switch" feature in narrow locations are on my list as well. Advertisting the Animation Compilation mod in combination with that feature would also fit nicely.

Since your video will be pretty much covered by the commentaries, it won't make sense to reference it in the release commentary. Expanding your feature showcase wouldn't really make sense either. Are there any other upcoming features which deserve a more in-depth video? Maybe object paging?

Oh, and I almost forgot: The video itself looks nice and clean, as always! :)
mistermoonshine

Atahualpa wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 23:55 I plan to go in a similar direction to present that feature. - Additionally, a quick look at the launcher options and a demonstration of the "shoulder switch" feature in narrow locations are on my list as well. Advertisting the Animation Compilation mod in combination with that feature would also fit nicely.

Since your video will be pretty much covered by the commentaries, it won't make sense to reference it in the release commentary. Expanding your feature showcase wouldn't really make sense either. Are there any other upcoming features which deserve a more in-depth video? Maybe object paging?

Oh, and I almost forgot: The video itself looks nice and clean, as always! :)
Ah I see, no problem. I will think about other videos to make. Might just stick to modding as I wouldn't trust myself to talk about something technical like object paging haha.
sanchezman

Post by sanchezman »

I see that there is only one task still listed under the 0.47.0 milestone in gitlab. Does that imply that a 0.47.0 RC will soon be in the works?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Soon (tm) -ish :)