Using Bliaron 2nd Ed. material for example suite

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

unelsson

Re: Using Bliaron 2nd Ed. material for example suite

Post by unelsson »

There was some talk about Example Suite having a starter island, with at least a central building with teleport doors to various special places. This enables expanding the Example Suite in a modular way. I'm imagining the starter building having various showcase rooms, or trophy rooms, perhaps books that tell of the engine's cool features, maybe paintings, curiosity objects etc. Each teleport door could have objects from different worlds in them, the entrance areas could be built to foreshadow about what's coming when the player enters the doors. We discussed with Destined to start building teleport-content around cell coordinates in a grid of 20 cells (e.g. -20, -20 ; -20, 0 ; 20,0 and so further). Content will be CC0 and CC-BY. For the template, CC0 makes sense.

If there's ever going to be a full game for Bliaron, the licensing will be decided at later stage. Currently there are no plans to build a "full game" of Bliaron in it's whole scale, but rather build something in smaller scale, and that can fit in the Example Suite. For the purposes of showcasing the engine, it kind of makes sense to choose various different themes for the worlds.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

psi29a wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 12:00 My idea was (still is?):
Template: cc0 content that is juts enough for OpenMW to run, basic generic content, small 1 cell island with a fully articulated humanoid with 1st and 3rd person. This also includes skybox with generic daytime and nighttime textures. Basic default dirt texture and sand texture for island.
unelsson wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 21:34 There was some talk about Example Suite having a starter island, with at least a central building with teleport doors to various special places. This enables expanding the Example Suite in a modular way. I'm imagining the starter building having various showcase rooms, or trophy rooms, perhaps books that tell of the engine's cool features, maybe paintings, curiosity objects etc.
It made me wonder at first, whether we discussed this before :?: . I have exactly the same idea of a simple starting island, showcasing the engine's capabilities and filled with examples.

It's limited/realistic in scope while still requiring all the fundamentals to be present (terrain editing, new animated characters, objects, collisions etc.). It'll also be an important step for OpenMW to break outside its initial purpose of running Morrowind and maturing into a standalone RPG engine.

So far there's:
  • Terrain height editing
  • Terrain texturing
  • Creating and importing custom static objects
  • Creating and importing custom animated characters (near the finish line)
With these things covered, it should already be possible to create a template/example project.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Just a bit of administrative bs, but DestinedToDie kind of took up the mantel of doing ExampleSuite stuff after I put it down and he's been doing a ton of work over the last couple years.
DestinedToDie, are you okay with all this change or are you maybe wanting to have this be an alternate Example Suite?

Thoughts?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Greendogo wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 02:57DestinedToDie, are you okay with all this change or are you maybe wanting to have this be an alternate Example Suite?

Thoughts?
Ok, maybe there's some context missing from unellson's post so I'll just quote him and then expand upon what he said a little bit.
unelsson wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 21:34 There was some talk about Example Suite having a starter island, with at least a central building with teleport doors to various special places. This enables expanding the Example Suite in a modular way. /.../ Each teleport door could have objects from different worlds in them, the entrance areas could be built to foreshadow about what's coming when the player enters the doors.
So the idea is that one door goes to Bliaron, the other door goes to Deadwood, the area I'm currently working on. And there could be even more doors in the future. This change doesn't extract much from my own efforts, it more like expands it to include the work of others, something I previously didn't have a good idea for how to integrate different people's work but now I think we do.

I've been working on anim files for a long time, but not pushed anything meaningful past the finish line. That's a problem and has been stunting my momentum. These files are perhaps the most challenging and time-consuming thing to get right. It seems unellson and Lamoot have overtaken this burden so I won't impede them, because I'm curious how they would do it differently from me while I work on some easier to finish stuff. I seem to be picking up momentum from being able to work on an asset and finish it within a reasonable timeline, so sharing the mantel like this might actually put the Example Suite back on the railroad tracks and moving at increasingly higher speeds. Choo-choo!
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Greendogo wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 02:57 Just a bit of administrative bs, but DestinedToDie kind of took up the mantel of doing ExampleSuite stuff after I put it down and he's been doing a ton of work over the last couple years.
DestinedToDie, are you okay with all this change or are you maybe wanting to have this be an alternate Example Suite?

Thoughts?
It's good that you mention this. I wasn't keeping an eye on the example suite development to know who is involved, but there is of course no need to step on each other's toes.

My interest is mainly in creating a simple project to go through the whole asset pipeline, verify it and document it. And in addition, to provide all the basic CC0 art assets needed to show some RPG going on. So less an example suite and more of a template. I'm probably in the wrong thread for that then :D
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

To be honest, the example-suite/template has content... but is dated and broken at this point. So it might be best to start over.

Destined works is tangile to OpenMW's goal, so his work isn't being ditched or stepped on.

I like the idea of having portals/gateways to other worlds... so having a 'starter' world that then takes you to other worlds allows for these kinds of parallel projects.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Okay then, with DestinedToDie, myself and psi29a's blessing, I would say go forth and conquer, unelsson and Lamoot. Please, for the love of the Gods of Bliaron, finish us a nice Example Suite so OpenMW can be tested without money.

Please and thank you. :D
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Greendogo wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 14:41 Okay then, with DestinedToDie, myself and psi29a's blessing, I would say go forth and conquer, unelsson and Lamoot. Please, for the love of the Gods of Bliaron, finish us a nice Example Suite so OpenMW can be tested without money.

Will do :) for a start, I'll focus on the basic animated humanoid and we can take it from there once that is done. I have the current work available at a clone of the example-suite https://gitlab.com/Lamoot/example-suite
fraang

Post by fraang »

Lamoot wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 15:37
Greendogo wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 14:41 Okay then, with DestinedToDie, myself and psi29a's blessing, I would say go forth and conquer, unelsson and Lamoot. Please, for the love of the Gods of Bliaron, finish us a nice Example Suite so OpenMW can be tested without money.

Will do :) for a start, I'll focus on the basic animated humanoid and we can take it from there once that is done. I have the current work available at a clone of the example-suite https://gitlab.com/Lamoot/example-suite
Just wanted to say: Nice work on the rig. 8-) Congrats!
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

fraang wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 12:42 Just wanted to say: Nice work on the rig. 8-) Congrats!
Thanks! There's still room for some extra functionality but it works well enough.