Microsoft buys Bethesda... What does it mean for OpenMW?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Kravensky

Microsoft buys Bethesda... What does it mean for OpenMW?

Post by Kravensky »

Source.

When Microsoft bought github there was a split in OpenMW team. Now Microsoft owns Morrowind itself. Also, i'm not sure that Microsoft allows to reverse their code (at least wine team explicitly warns against it for windows libs).

So, what's does it all mean for OpenMW?
Last edited by Kravensky on 22 Sep 2020, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
lysol

Re: Microsoft buys Bethesda... What does it mean for OpenMW?

Post by lysol »

Wow.

But seriously, to me it means nothing. It's not like Bethesda was the bestest company ever either. OpenMW runs Morrowind assets, nothing more, so OpenMW will always be the libre alternative to play Morrowind, regardless of who is the owner of the company that once developed that game.

Microsoft buying GitHub is not the same thing imo. We use github. We don't "use" morrowind in the same way. And in any case, you don't have an "account" on Morrowind.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Basically lysol said it all, we are using Microsoft assets now. But that's about it, we are not using their services or software.

It is unfortunate that the original engine and the various hacks on it are still so popular, but there is nothing we can really do.
Kravensky

Post by Kravensky »

We don't "use" morrowind in the same way
You don't reverse original engine?
lysol

Post by lysol »

The original engine is never touched by OpenMW, only the asset files are.

Reverse engineering simply means that you try to figure out how something work, and then code a new thing based on the research with the goal of making it work the same way, even though you've never actually seen the original code.

In any case, Microsoft will not secretly put spyware on everyones Morrowind install (how that would even be done I don't know), so there isn't really anything that will change other than that Microsoft will get some money if you buy Morrowind in the future. In a worst case scenario, Microsoft could theoretically put evil stuff on future downloaded installs of Morrowind, but that will probably not matter for OpenMW users, especially not on Linux.
Kravensky

Post by Kravensky »

you try to figure out how something work
You don't disassemble original engine? It's a relieve!
It is unfortunate that the original engine and the various hacks on it are still so popular, but there is nothing we can really do.
You can keep doing awesome job, it's working.

Either way, thanks for your efforts! OpenMW is a great engine, i love to use it.
ezze

Post by ezze »

It is a form of clean room design.
Kravensky

Post by Kravensky »

It is a form of clean room design.
Wow. It's great!
ezze

Post by ezze »

Bethesda already tried to shut down the project with baseless claims. I was around when it happened, it was quite a drama: a developer deleted all his messages on the board and told us that he had to use anxiolytics for a while. I remember myself copying all the data about the project I could (source, binaries, ...) to prepare to worst case scenario.

Fortunately, the approach of OpenMW and the cold blood of Zini et al. avoided any further problems. Bethesda or Microsoft makes no difference from this point of view.

The email exchanges is stored in the wiki if you a curious.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Don't think it means much for OpenMW.

It's more interesting to ponder about what it means for Bethesda itself. Big company merging into an even bigger company. The Bethesda Softworks part of it that makes TES and Fallout games has been underperforming for some time. They made Skyrim in 2011 and surely got some good money from that, but afterwards... it was Fallout 4 and 76. I guess right now they've got Starfield and they also announced to be working on the next TES game years ago. Are they in development hell? If those go under, then they haven't really had the type of big success you'd hope for a decade. In some sense, selling to Microsoft is a rational decision. Cut the risk for yourself, then let it be Microsoft's worry to keep things going. Perhaps Microsoft will do some kind of overview of the ingoings and if the games in development aren't good, then try to patch them up. Perhaps all this means is that the new games are less likely to be as unpleasing as Fallout 76.