Simple Graphics Mod List

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
ezze

Re: Simple Graphics Mod List

Post by ezze »

The MGE cannot help with OpenMW, but OpenMW does allow to see far away.

Those are the relevant lines in my settings.cfg:

Code: Select all

[Terrain]
distant terrain = true
object paging = true
object paging active grid = true

[Camera]
viewing distance = 27311

[Cells]
preload distance = 37500
preload num threads = 3

[Shaders]
apply lighting to environment maps = true
clamp lighting = false
auto use object normal maps = true
auto use object specular maps = true
auto use terrain normal maps = true
auto use terrain specular maps = true
radial fog = true
Some settings are a matter of taste. For example, the setting viewing distance = 27311 appears a 3.33 in the menus and I decided it because it makes the fog just cover Ebonheart from Seyda Neen. To me gives enough space to not feel blind, but also avoid to show how everything in Morrowind is kinda piled up.

Give a quick look to the manual.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you go for active-grid object paging, you're pretty likely to see the light limit cause problems, so it's still off by default even when distant object paging is on. It gives a nice performance boost, though.
skarn

Post by skarn »

I want to throw in my preference for texture filtering.

texture mag filter = nearest
texture min filter = linear
texture mipmap = linear

This stops the 'dirty noise/shimmering' of textures at a distance, but keeps the pixelated effect for textures up close.
But actually I really mainly want this for things like foliage - where with filtering on the transparency + heavy blurring of things like leaves looks particularly ugly for me. If I could selectively apply the filtering to textures, I'd probably be impressed with the flexibility, but unsure how laborious it would be to configure aesthetically. So all close things pixelated suits me :-)
ezze

Post by ezze »

I can confirm you might see weird lights. But it did not matter too much to me; as usual if something irks your eyes try another way.

Effortlessdepths wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 18:04 [...]Here's what I'm running:

Linoras Leveling Mod
Better Governing Attributes
Unofficial Morrowind Official Plugins Patched
Morrowind Optimization Patch
Morrowind Enhanced Textures
Better Balanced Combat

That's it... so what's missing that's VITAL, besides everyone's suggestions for graphics mods? And keep in mind I have a character going that I don't want to restart
Here is even harder. Most of this modifications are really matter of taste. As example I do not really understand "Better Balanced Combat", while I understand how frustrating it can be to miss all the time it makes the hits that work much more satisfying, besides now that Morrowind is playable thanks to an open source engine some mod should be properly embedded in the engine not hacked in via script.

Said all of that, I can give some suggestion based on my experience:
Weapons and Armor Balance Mod, here is the description: re-balances the armors and weapons nicely. (requires tes3cmd cleaning)
Race and Birthsign re-balance: makes all the races different and interesting, of course don't use for an existing game. But nice to remember for an new one.
Antares Big Mod: makes you feel you are part of the factions giving you special rights.
Starfire's NPCs: basically makes the world feel more alive without overdoing it.
TriangleTooth's Ecology Mod: makes animal not bloodthirsty insane.
Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Sixth House: re-balances the whole game as it were are single coherent world. Very useful for new games, less so for existing ones.
Creatures and undeads expansion: just what is says.

I did few tweaks for my level up mod, but unless you feel comfortable compiling the game I just suggest other two:

Movement Fatigue Halved and Speechcraft Rebalance. The first make Stamina matters where it should: during fights; and not so much while moving. The second makes speechcraft a bit more interesting, so you might consider it instead of just doing a spell that gives you +200 Personality.