Disappearing building?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
ezze

Disappearing building?

Post by ezze »

(OpenMW 0.47, cf52)

I have a strange effect. The screenshots show it well:
A building?
A building?
Disappears!
Disappears!
Basically, when the player is away there is a visible building. When I go nearby it disappears. Before taking the screenshot I literally disabled everything a part of the texture replacer to make the building more visible.

What can possibly be?
Amenophis

Re: Disappearing building?

Post by Amenophis »

That is the Hlaalu Stronghold. Since the script that disabled it in the start only runs when the player enter the cell the distant land will show it before you get near. I think this could be fixed in the modding side.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Amenophis wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 14:24 That is the Hlaalu Stronghold. Since the script that disabled it in the start only runs when the player enter the cell the distant land will show it before you get near. I think this could be fixed in the modding side.
Correct, we already have an issue to track this. There are other things like this, like orientation of some meshes at a distance that are then corrected when a script runs. An idea was to ship an OpenMW mod for vanilla content with releases. So... a great beginner's task that would require use of OpenMW-CS :)
ezze

Post by ezze »

While writing the message I thought it could be something like that. Often objects are in the game in the disabled state and are enabled at the right moment. One would not notice in vanilla morrowind because you cannot see so far away.

What would be the solution? Change the distance such the scripts activate?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

As both Amenophis and I said; provide a mod that just disables vanilla assets that show this behaviour and let the scripts run normally. Keep it simple.
ezze

Post by ezze »

So, the building is actually enabled by default and get disabled when you go near. It is kinda the opposite of what I would expect, but now I got it.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

ezze wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 01:55 So, the building is actually enabled by default and get disabled when you go near. It is kinda the opposite of what I would expect, but now I got it.
Yeah, but as already mentioned... the game content (assets and scripts) were all developed over a decade ago before the idea of long viewing distance existed. No thought was actually given to this. So what we and MGE:XE does are 'hacks' around this shortsightedness in the game itself.