Can I move the folder for save files to another drive?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
eru777

Can I move the folder for save files to another drive?

Post by eru777 »

Is it possible to move the save file folder to something else?
klorax

Re: Can I move the folder for save files to another drive?

Post by klorax »

In GNU+Linux it is trivial to create a symbolic link to a directory in another location. I have not done it in Windows but it might be possible:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/
Last edited by klorax on 14 Jun 2020, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

On Windows, either:
  • Move your whole documents directory by right-clicking on it, choosing properties, and going to the location tab. This is the recommended way if you're doing it for drive space reasons, as if your save files are getting too big, chances are you've got other documents that are too big, too.
  • Create a symbolic link (or directory junction if it needs to be on a different drive) connecting the default saves folder to where you want them to go.
eru777

Post by eru777 »

Thanks guys.
The reason I want to do this is simple; I use one SSD for the OS, and another for everything else.
In case anything happens to windows and I need to reformat the whole drive.. I'd like to be able to just do that without reinstalling all my programs.
Since ''my documents'' is on C, I wanted a way to put the save files on D, my main storage drive.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I don't really see how that applies to OpenMW saves but not the rest of your documents, but it's your computer, so you can use this advice how you want.