Porting Mods

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Inotamira

Porting Mods

Post by Inotamira »

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mod ... ?tab=files I'd like to port this mod into OMW. For the most part it works already, but for whatever reason, the part that deals with the sellers gold doesn't work. I've ported mods from Skyrim to SE from modders that didn't want to before, however, I'm not understanding the OMWCS, and when I open this mod in it, I honestly don't get anything at all, just a blank screen. Digging around through the menus is equally as confusing as I can't find whatever script this mod is using to try and modify it.

Anyone know enough to help me out?

Edit: I can't delete a post, turns out I needed to kill the crab and resurrect him before it started working. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Last edited by Inotamira on 13 Apr 2020, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Re: Porting Mods

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That mod doesn't require MWSE or MGE XE, so theoretically there should be no need to do anything to it - it should Just Work™. However, based on one of the comments on the Nexus page, it looks like we've gone for the Todd Howard definition of Just Work™, rather than the one where things actually work. This is usually because when a mod includes a nonsensical script, the original CS and game would often not give an error and make a guess about what to do, and sometimes even got roughly what the author wanted. Also, sometimes when the script should work, the original CS would invent something stupid to make it do instead, and mod authors would counteract this by adding workarounds. This means that there are times when our script compiler doesn't give the same result as in the original game.

We fix these issues most of the time once we know about them, so the first thing I'd suggest is trying a nightly build. If you're using 0.45, you're missing out on a lot of mod compatibility improvements, so it might be sorted out already. If that doesn't help, you should look for the mod on our bug tracker - we might already be aware of the problem, but if we aren't, then telling us is the best way to get it fixed. Someone might also have posted a workaround if there's an issue report, too.

If you're waiting for us to fix things, then in the meantime, you can probably patch the mod so it only uses the subset of MWScript that actually works reliably. If you load the plugin you want to edit and open the File menu and choose Verify, it'll scan the loaded content for issues. Annoyingly, there are lots in the base game, and I can't remember how to hide those, but it's very likely that anything wrong with the mod will be flagged. Often, it'll be a simple issue, like a function being passed the wrong number of arguments. If you find the problem, posting about it on the issue report should make it easier for a developer to fix it properly at some point.

If you end up publishing your fixed version, make sure that the original author allows it (the Nexus seems to say that's fine for this mod), and ideally link to the issue report so that people won't still be using it once the original is working in OpenMW. If people go on the Nexus and see lots of OpenMW patches for mods, it can spread the impression that we're not trying to be compatible with existing content and then people won't tell us about compatibility bugs and we won't know to fix them.
Inotamira

Post by Inotamira »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 19:51 That mod doesn't require MWSE or MGE XE, so theoretically there should be no need to do anything to it - it should Just Work™. However, based on one of the comments on the Nexus page, it looks like we've gone for the Todd Howard definition of Just Work™, rather than the one where things actually work. This is usually because when a mod includes a nonsensical script, the original CS and game would often not give an error and make a guess about what to do, and sometimes even got roughly what the author wanted. Also, sometimes when the script should work, the original CS would invent something stupid to make it do instead, and mod authors would counteract this by adding workarounds. This means that there are times when our script compiler doesn't give the same result as in the original game.

We fix these issues most of the time once we know about them, so the first thing I'd suggest is trying a nightly build. If you're using 0.45, you're missing out on a lot of mod compatibility improvements, so it might be sorted out already. If that doesn't help, you should look for the mod on our bug tracker - we might already be aware of the problem, but if we aren't, then telling us is the best way to get it fixed. Someone might also have posted a workaround if there's an issue report, too.

If you're waiting for us to fix things, then in the meantime, you can probably patch the mod so it only uses the subset of MWScript that actually works reliably. If you load the plugin you want to edit and open the File menu and choose Verify, it'll scan the loaded content for issues. Annoyingly, there are lots in the base game, and I can't remember how to hide those, but it's very likely that anything wrong with the mod will be flagged. Often, it'll be a simple issue, like a function being passed the wrong number of arguments. If you find the problem, posting about it on the issue report should make it easier for a developer to fix it properly at some point.

If you end up publishing your fixed version, make sure that the original author allows it (the Nexus seems to say that's fine for this mod), and ideally link to the issue report so that people won't still be using it once the original is working in OpenMW. If people go on the Nexus and see lots of OpenMW patches for mods, it can spread the impression that we're not trying to be compatible with existing content and then people won't tell us about compatibility bugs and we won't know to fix them.
I'm just an idiot, don't worry about it.
eddie5

Post by eddie5 »

I've been using this longer than I've been using OpenMW. I noticed no change in its behavior during that time. :)