omwllf and multipatch

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
guigui

omwllf and multipatch

Post by guigui »

hi all!

first, thanks for openmw and the work. it's a great engine.

i'm a beginner so don't blame me too much if my question is stupid.

i use omwllf and tes3cmd.

since tes3cmd cannot read .omwaddon files, is it better to make the omwllf.omwaddon file after the making of the tes3cmd multipatch file (with the multipatch.esp file included in the omwllf scan).
and so to have this order:
X.esp
Y.esp
Z.esp
multipatch.esp
omwllf.omwaddon

or perhaps this alternative (?):
X.esp
Y.esp
Z.esp
omwllf.omwaddon
multipatch.esp

or is it better to make the omwllf.omwaddon file before the making of the tes3cmd multipatch file (knowing that tes3cmd multipatch will not see omwllf.omwaddon).
and so to have this order:
X.esp
Y.esp
Z.esp
omwllf.omwaddon
multipatch.esp

or perhaps another alternative?

thanks!

PS:
subsidiary question:
i fear to break a game with the tes3cmd clean function. so i just do the tes3cmd clean --gmsts function (clean evil gmsts). is it sufficient?
(for the story: some competants authors explain that their mods are already cleaned. and when i do a tes3cmd clean on some of their mods, i see sometimes some junk/duplicate/... things. this is why i fear to break a game with the tes3cmd clean function)
NOTE: i play with the french version of Morrowind (and so with translated mods (translated by competants authors)).

subsidiary question 2:
the "view cross" show too much information i think. for example it show if a door is trapped. is there a way to configure that?
jmelesky

Re: omwllf and multipatch

Post by jmelesky »

Hello! Author of omwllf here.

I'd honestly never considered that people would use omwllf and tes3cmd multipatch in the same install. As far as I'm aware, the multipatch command does the following:
  • [*} merge leveled lists (taken care of by omwllf)
  • a fix for npc-summoned creatures (shouldn't be needed for openmw)
  • a fix for certain fog levels (shouldn't be needed for openmw)
  • fixes certain cell renaming issues
So, theoretically, only the cell renaming fix will be useful from the resulting .esp. I genuinely do not know how useful that feature is.

All that said, tes3cmd does a fine job merging leveled lists, and if you've installed all your plugins in the Data Files directory, then you could just use that and skip omwllf.

On the other hand, if you have omwaddon files (that tes3cmd will skip), or want to keep your plugins in separate directories, then I advise one of two approaches. First, you can skip using tes3cmd altogether.

Second, you can run omwllf first (that is, without the tes3cmd esp), then run tes3cmd, then ensure that omwllf's .omwaddon is last in the load order. That way you can get whatever benefit from tes3cmd, as well as the omwllf leveled lists (which should be more correct, grabbing omwaddon and other-directory plugins without a problem).

Hope that helps!
guigui

Post by guigui »

thank you!! it's much more clear!

just a little additional question, if don't bother you:

will it be ok to run tes3cmd multipatch first, then run omwllf (that is, with the new tes3cmd esp). (then, like you said, ensure that omwllf's .omwaddon is last in the load order)
?
(i would be a little more convenient for me - just a question of number of commands)

thanks again!
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

guigui wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 21:23 will it be ok to run tes3cmd multipatch first, then run omwllf (that is, with the new tes3cmd esp). (then, like you said, ensure that omwllf's .omwaddon is last in the load order)
?
Actually, it should be fine -- as long as you run it before enabling the tes3cmd esp. The logic in omwllf only looks at enabled mods, so it should skip the multipatch mod entirely.