Is OpenMW playable?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Time4Tea

Re: Is OpenMW playable?

Post by Time4Tea »

Capostrophic wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 13:30 Are you you didn't have the collision for your character disabled?
Sorry, I don't know where that setting is. I would guess not, as the collision physics with my character is working.

Swimming is fine, there's a nice animation for that. But flying, he's running in the air.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

In vanilla, the levitation animation is the same with walking, not running.
Same in OpenMW, as far as I've experienced.
You can toggle collision by opening the console and typing 'tcl' (without quotes) and hitting return. Swimming still has the correct animation when collision is off, so that's not an indicator.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

DecumusScotti wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 22:27 In vanilla, the levitation animation is the same with walking, not running.
Same in OpenMW, as far as I've experienced.
You can toggle collision by opening the console and typing 'tcl' (without quotes) and hitting return. Swimming still has the correct animation when collision is off, so that's not an indicator.
Ok, seems like it's the same as in vanilla then. Still, it would be nice to have a more appropriate levitation animation (but I guess that's more down to the assets than the engine).
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

Maybe, play swimming animation instead of running, when levitating and not touching the ground?
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

heilkitty wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 09:04 Maybe, play swimming animation instead of running, when levitating and not touching the ground?
That's a good point. I agree the swimming animation would probably look better, as a fallback for levitation. I mean, it's not a big deal in single-player, since in first-person view (which I assume most players would use), you won't see it. Plus, no NPCs ever seem to levitate around in MW, just the player. But, in TES3MP, where presumably you can see other players, it's going to look a bit silly if they are walking in the air. (disclaimer: I haven't actually tried TES3MP).
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

I would love to be able to replace the levitation animation and not the walking animation or swimming animation. However, I don't think swimming would be a good alternative for a levitation animation at all. The glowing purple platforms that appear under your feet while levitating are okay for making it make some sense IMHO. And enabling us to change levitation animations without changing other ones would probably involve either hacky engine-side workarounds that would have to be removed post-1.0, or changes to the .esp format that the team doesn't want to make pre-1.0.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

I don't think anything hacky needs to be done to allow a different animation for levitation. That's kind of the point of rewriting the engine ;) I agree though, that I would not prefer the swimming animation. But something like the WoW one, maybe. Though even there's none for movement, just standing (uhm, floating) still.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

I agree that neither the walking nor swimming animations are ideal. It would be very nice to have a dedicated player flying animation. So, would doing that require a change to the engine, or could it just be a mod?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Time4Tea wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 13:32 I agree that neither the walking nor swimming animations are ideal. It would be very nice to have a dedicated player flying animation. So, would doing that require a change to the engine, or could it just be a mod?
I believe this is 'content', so perhaps a mod? OpenMW tries to stay away from content as much as possible.
vondess

Post by vondess »

What is not complete is the editor. It still does not have all the features of official Bethesda Morrowind Construction Set.