Please bring back Fall Function

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
HungryWanamingo

Please bring back Fall Function

Post by HungryWanamingo »

Greetings All,

I've been working on a mod that relies on the Fall function for inelegant underwater walking (I.E. If you use it on the player while they are in water, they sink to the bottom and can move around as long as the bottom is level). Since Fall has been removed, I cannot figure out another way to implement walking underwater.

Would someone please either bring back the Fall function or tell me how to implement underwater walking in a way that works in both Vanilla Morrowind and OpenMW?

Very respectfully,
HungryWanamingo
akortunov

Re: Please bring back Fall Function

Post by akortunov »

OpenMW applies gravity for all walking actors, and it will not change in the foreseen future, so the Fall command will be useless anyway.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

What about doing something like making a character's weight (incuding encumbrance) determine their downward motion in the water? Have a certain 'natural bouyancy' weight allowance, and if their weight is over that, they start to sink (faster the heavier they are). That way, if a player doesn't have a good athletics skill, they'll drown unless they ditch some weight.

Would then allow HungryWanamingo to implement walking underwater, by increasing the character's weight via a script.
Equinox

Post by Equinox »

you either have to just wait for that kind of function to be available in OpenMW or just use the vanilla engine.
Last edited by Equinox on 17 May 2022, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Equinox wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 07:39 Sorry bro, you either have to wait 10 years for that kind of function to be available in OpenMW or just use the vanilla engine.
That's a pretty shitty and non constructive thing to say.
Equinox

Post by Equinox »

psi29a wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:13 That's a pretty shitty and non constructive thing to say.
Hmm, perhaps I was being too harsh in the wording. Sorry bout that.

Peace.

Anyway, I think Time4Tea's idea is cool and certainly more superior than the vanilla use of Fall. Besides, from my testing, the Fall function in vanilla is very vague and not used anywhere in existing Morrowind scripts.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Having things unaffected by physics until they either move or the engine is told to process them via script is still something I would like to see as an option. OpenMW's implementation of actor physics breaks a lot of mods, especially those involving sitting actors, or anything else where collision boxes overlap even slightly. A more comprehensive solution would be preferable, certainly, but vanilla behavior on this is far from useless. It doesn't help that there seems to be no way at present to remove collision from statics whatsoever, making workarounds for this issue completely impossible. Support for the collisionswitch node used by the most recent update of Glow in the Dahrk could also do it, but it'd have to actually remove collision, rather than having the engine forcibly generate a new collision mesh the moment it doesn't find one like happens now.

By the way, the Fall function is used somewhere -- Tarhiel's script uses it. It just so happens to also have an invisible platform that gets disabled at the same time as an extra precaution, the removal of which also causes physics to be processed, and which is the only reason Tarhiel works unmodded in OpenMW. Fall, by all indications, simply tells the engine (in vanilla) "process physics on this actor."

EDIT: Maybe a version of Fall in reverse, that tells the engine not to process physics on an actor, would work for everyone's purposes?
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

Jemolk wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:37 EDIT: Maybe a version of Fall in reverse, that tells the engine not to process physics on an actor, would work for everyone's purposes?
Implementing a flag is typically not very hard, but I guess making it easily accessible may be. Like, do you want that flag on every single object? Then you'd have to store it, which requires a change in the game file format. Otherwise you'd have to store them somewhere else, like some internal state where the engine has to look up first whether physics should be applied to an object, more like an override. You'd want to save that state though, so you could include it in the save file. I don't know, I feel the current solution is a lot cleaner. Or am I simply too uncreative?
Sagacity

Post by Sagacity »

The engine could simply assume that physics doesn't apply, until it should, for all statics, and then apply a flag to static that does suddenly need physics to be applied. Or something like that.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Sagacity wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 00:45 The engine could simply assume that physics doesn't apply, until it should
The real issue here is to determine when it should and when it should not.