[Idea/Feature] Advanced map markers/annotations

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
derped

[Idea/Feature] Advanced map markers/annotations

Post by derped »

When I play Morrowind I use map annotations to remember where things are, what I already have explored and so on.

So it would be super awesome:
- If annotations could be attached directly to ?landmarks?
- Support for color coding or even multiple Icons would make things a lot easier (as there would be no need to hover over a the element on the map to find out whether or not a certain location has been explored or not (can simply choose the color when making the annotation))
- super optional: display annotations that were made in an interior cell from its exterior cell map marker (though I'm not sure how easy/hard this would be to implement)
akortunov

Re: [Idea/Feature] Advanced map markers/annotations

Post by akortunov »

Looks like an idea for Lua mod instead of core feature, as for me.
derped

Post by derped »

Is that already possible?
I was always under the impression that python/lua scripting was limited to a couple of global variables and general scripting commands.

There is the "Getting and setting variables" section in the documentation on scripting though it is not really clear what variables are exposed.
Is there a page where I could look that up?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Oh right. That wiki page. Maybe we should make some kind of info in the header that this was just an experiment a long time ago.

So no, there is no lua so far, what you see is just the information on how to use the lua implemented in an experimental fork of OpenMW several years ago. It was never implemented to master back then because the project wasn't ready for it yet.

It is now though. Lua is supposed to be implemented into version 0.47.0 if all goes according to plan. But that could take a while.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

derped wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 02:51 When I play Morrowind I use map annotations to remember where things are, what I already have explored and so on.

So it would be super awesome:
- If annotations could be attached directly to ?landmarks?
- Support for color coding or even multiple Icons would make things a lot easier (as there would be no need to hover over a the element on the map to find out whether or not a certain location has been explored or not (can simply choose the color when making the annotation))
- super optional: display annotations that were made in an interior cell from its exterior cell map marker (though I'm not sure how easy/hard this would be to implement)
I would go on to say that it would be awesome if this idea was expanded, with the potential for multiple layers on the map, something like the base layer showing the map unaltered: another layer showing where you have traveled to (Like vanilla morrowind does, which reveals the coloration of the map instead of the gray map) and names the settlements, and perhaps a "user layer" where you can draw on the map and add/remove your own notes from it.

(wishing AGAIN that I was a dev to try to help contribute both to the overall project and to ideas like this)

ST the wisher