Application: 1Zero

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Post Reply
1Zero
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Feb 2020, 18:44

Application: 1Zero

Post by 1Zero » 15 Feb 2020, 21:16

Hello,

I am a logician/ computer scientist fascinated with sandbox environments. The prospect of having a sandbox universe and a flexible modular engine to play around with fascinates me.
Thus far, I will only involved with large scale proprietary software but I am positive that I can find my way around an Open Source project.
Right now, I intend to work on reimplementing Oblivion's scripting engine to integrate it into OpenMW.
Eventually, in a distant future, I would be excited to expand AI mechanics with Prolog like expert systems/ logical deduction systems to make the character interactions more realistic or get into areas like procedural generation in the editor.

I admire the work already done and I am sure this project will by the standard way of playing the Gamebryo/ Creation Engine games in the future.

silentthief
Posts: 422
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 01:20
Location: Currently traversing the Ascadian Isles

Re: Application: 1Zero

Post by silentthief » 16 Feb 2020, 16:20

Welcome to the forums.

ST
"You like to dance close to the fire, don't you?."

User avatar
psi29a
Posts: 4802
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 10:13
Location: Belgium
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/
Contact:

Re: Application: 1Zero

Post by psi29a » 17 Feb 2020, 09:45

Welcome aboard! :)

I take it you've already looks through the Oblivion thread (rather long) on the forums and have looked through the code a bit?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

1Zero
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Feb 2020, 18:44

Re: Application: 1Zero

Post by 1Zero » 18 Feb 2020, 14:12

psi29a wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 09:45
Welcome aboard! :)

I take it you've already looks through the Oblivion thread (rather long) on the forums and have looked through the code a bit?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Yes, I caught up on it, I also studied the codebase to my capabilities and build the project, working well.

User avatar
lysol
Posts: 1401
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 01:48
Location: Sweden

Re: Application: 1Zero

Post by lysol » 18 Feb 2020, 14:45

A lot of the discussions these days are taking place on irc, Matrix or Discord. Irc and Matrix have bridges set up that link them to Discord. Pick the platform of your liking if you wish.

The discord server has the most activity atm and only a few of the channels are mirrored to Matrix, but there are some discussions whether it should be replaced with Matrix and having Discord linked to it instead, so Matrix might get more channels in the future.

I PM:ed some invites to you.
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

1Zero
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Feb 2020, 18:44

Re: Application: 1Zero

Post by 1Zero » 18 Feb 2020, 20:47

lysol wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 14:45
A lot of the discussions these days are taking place on irc, Matrix or Discord. Irc and Matrix have bridges set up that link them to Discord. Pick the platform of your liking if you wish.

The discord server has the most activity atm and only a few of the channels are mirrored to Matrix, but there are some discussions whether it should be replaced with Matrix and having Discord linked to it instead, so Matrix might get more channels in the future.

I PM:ed some invites to you.
I read about Discord, it's nothing I would personally use. I actively use IRC though and Matrix with it's decentralized structure seems also very interesting to me.

User avatar
lysol
Posts: 1401
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 01:48
Location: Sweden

Re: Application: 1Zero

Post by lysol » 18 Feb 2020, 21:47

Yes, this is exactly why there have been discussions of whether we should move over everything to matrix instead and have discord as a bridge. I am still using Discord first and foremost, but I am very much in favor of using Matrix instead.
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

User avatar
akortunov
Posts: 723
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 13:49
Location: Samara, Russian Federation

Re: Application: 1Zero

Post by akortunov » 19 Feb 2020, 11:04

1Zero wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 21:16
Right now, I intend to work on reimplementing Oblivion's scripting engine to integrate it into OpenMW.
Keep in mind that by design we are going to deprecate MWScript and use it only for backward compatibility with old mods (all new mods should Lua-based scripting system).
So an only use case of your system would be to load Oblivion itself, but OpenMW does not have any Oblivion's features, so the full scripting system support is impossible right now.
As for partial support, it would be just an MWSE rival without MWSE compatibility, despite we decided to do not extend MWScript.
So I am not sure if such system really can be integrated in OpenMW in the foreseen future.

1Zero
Posts: 31
Joined: 09 Feb 2020, 18:44

Re: Application: 1Zero

Post by 1Zero » 19 Feb 2020, 14:39

akortunov wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 11:04
1Zero wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 21:16
Right now, I intend to work on reimplementing Oblivion's scripting engine to integrate it into OpenMW.
Keep in mind that by design we are going to deprecate MWScript and use it only for backward compatibility with old mods (all new mods should Lua-based scripting system).
So an only use case of your system would be to load Oblivion itself, but OpenMW does not have any Oblivion's features, so the full scripting system support is impossible right now.
As for partial support, it would be just an MWSE rival without MWSE compatibility, despite we decided to do not extend MWScript.
So I am not sure if such system really can be integrated in OpenMW in the foreseen future.
I am aware - I don't actually intend to touch upon any of Morrowind's scripting, it's all intended for Oblivion.
Among other things I am in need of cc9ii's work to actually implement Oblivion's scripting functions - Just loading into the game in order to test the integration of the LuaOblivion VM would be essential.
I expect many months to pass for that to happen.
I get a compiler ready to target Vanilla Oblivion's engine first (It should be usable outside any OpenMW/OpenOblivion context) - the backend can later be adapted to additionally target LuaOblivion.
Getting the compiler itself to work isn't too difficult using Flex and Bison.

Post Reply