OpenMW 0.46.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
robcbwilson

Re: OpenMW 0.46.0

Post by robcbwilson »

Oh I know it will be done when it is done as I have been following Open MW for years :)

it was more a question about the lack of updates in this channel which is a bit unusual...
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

An update is being worked on by lysol ;)

Also, as a side note, according to the repo page OpenMW 0.46.0 currently stands at 90% done. Looking through the 23 issues that remain unresolved, a good majority of them seem to be nearing completion or at least have a good amount of work done on them. There are 221 closed issues in 0.46.0 as of now.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

It doesn't mean it's 90% done, and most of the ones that are up are probably not going to end up being resolved for 0.46.0.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

I'd suggest to do not wait for videos and do not make boring relese notes with 250 entries (which no one will read anyway), but make a brief text overview, as in News section (probably with screenshots).
lysol

Post by lysol »

I think we should give the video a chance, but we need a deadline. As soon as we get close to the RC phase, we should contact Atahualpa and say "We need videos, but if you can't get them done within two weeks, we'll release without them".
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Having detailed release notes somewhere is a good idea, even if they're not super tidy. If you've tried something in the past and it had a problem, Ctrl+F-ing the problem when the next release comes out and finding it's been solved can be greater motivation to actually try the new release rather than just be vaguely aware of its existence.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

lysol wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 16:30 I think we should give the video a chance, but we need a deadline. As soon as we get close to the RC phase, we should contact Atahualpa and say "We need videos, but if you can't get them done within two weeks, we'll release without them".
Hey guys!

To be honest, I wouldn't give the videos a chance - the deadline for my master thesis is Friday before Christmas...
I went through the list of resolved issues about two weeks ago, but I don't even have the time and the nerves to maintain our human-readable change log, much less produce two appropriate release videos.

My suggestion: Let's do the release whenever you are ready and deliver the videos later. Wouldn't be the first time.

Best regards,
Atahualpa
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 23:24 the deadline for my master thesis is Friday before Christmas...
Good luck!! I finished my Masters this past May. :) It's good to be done!
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 23:24 Hey guys!

To be honest, I wouldn't give the videos a chance - the deadline for my master thesis is Friday before Christmas...
I went through the list of resolved issues about two weeks ago, but I don't even have the time and the nerves to maintain our human-readable change log, much less produce two appropriate release videos.

My suggestion: Let's do the release whenever you are ready and deliver the videos later. Wouldn't be the first time.

Best regards,
Atahualpa
Thanks for popping in! We all wish you good luck. :)

Pity about the videos, they are great after all. I'd say either we release without them and you do videos after the release, or someone else could do them just this time, if you are ok with that.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Good luck on finishing your Masters!!! :D

Maybe we can get a classic video dude like WeirdSexy to do it? Has anyone seen him around the ES community? Edit: Sent him a message.