-TESTERS NEEDED- for OpenCS Terrain Editing

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
unelsson

Re: -TESTERS NEEDED- for OpenCS Terrain Editing

Post by unelsson »

I'm not for or against python plugins, but I'm not going to spend time on that. I'm going to capitalize on newly learned C++ skills and familiarity with OpenMW-CS code in further development.

As AnyOldName3 said, database handling is a big thing of OpenMW-CS. There's also lots of small stuff regarding file format, like slope steepness limits, and converting whatever values you have in OpenMW-CS (or Blender if you'd use it) to values that will work with ESM/omwgame/omwaddon file format. Cell edges are not trivial to handle either. It's not height that gets saved, but the difference of height to the vertex at x - 1, Blender would need to handle this conversion somehow as well.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Oh btw, terrain editing is now merged in master, so please, everyone, test it as much as possible before 0.46. All bugs should be reported!
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

unelsson wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 11:14 Oh btw, terrain editing is now merged in master, so please, everyone, test it as much as possible before 0.46. All bugs should be reported!
Woohoo! Awesome work unelsson!

ST the fan of the land
PS - updated first post on this thread with that info as well
ArashiAganawa

Post by ArashiAganawa »

So I'm messing around with this and I noticed you can raise land well above the previous limit... and well... you absolute mad fetchers have made my dreams come true!!!

I make no promises to use this new found power responsibly and will most likely go crazy using it!!!
:twisted:
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

I got a chance to test the terrain editing build and have some further feedback. Previous comments on usability, showing the brush size, changing tools, their strength, etc. still stand (of course with the understanding terrain editing is in its initial implementation).

1.)One of the things that stood out was how deep in the interface the user needs to go to change the tools. In software like GIMP, Inkscape, Blender, the tools are all 1 click away and their icons are always visible for the user to glance over and decide what to pick (it could be said the tools overview is 0 clicks away). In contrast, OpenMW-CS needs 3 clicks to change the tool and 2 clicks to even see what tools are available.
This of course already goes in to the teritory of general editor usability and is not limited to terrain editing alone.

2.) When a part of the terrain is selected and the terrain is adjusted afterwards, the selection grid highlight doesn't update to the new shape.

3.) Selecting a part of terrain at the edges of visible terrain projects the out-of-bounds selection to water level.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

ArashiAganawa, cool! I can see the temptation there :D . There really isn't a sensible limit for the height any more (I think it's somewhere around FLOAT_MAX, 3.40282e+38), but I can't remember what's the limit at ESM file format's very first height. Limit is in the slope steepness though, and there's a point somewhere in the steepness where textures start to look ugly.

Lamoot, thanks a lot for testing! I opened an issue for terrain selection problems at https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues/5200 .

GUI is definitely something that should be improved, having a separate window for tool settings is a decent idea. These improvements should apply for other editmodes as well (texture editing, terrain vertex color editing).
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Happy to help :D