How to start a normal game?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
bialyikar

How to start a normal game?

Post by bialyikar »

Hi
Why does every new game begins in a place like this?
sc1.jpg
sc2.jpg
Every time I begin in Beshara :( How to start a normal game?
I Openmw Version 0.15.0
Installed in Ubuntu 12.04 64bit
Repository: ppa: openmw / openmw
Tarius

Re: How to start a normal game?

Post by Tarius »

You can not really start a game in the normal sense. This project is not fully complete and will not be for some time.
What has been released so far is mostly for showcasing in order to show people first hand what has been done and whats possible.
You can still run around and look at what is possible, but if you want to just play a regular game of Morrowind, you should stick with the standard Bethesda version.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Take a look at the testing page for a rundown of things you can do. You can start playing the game at the imperial prison ship, but you have to skip over parts of it since AI and opening doors are missing.

Edit: I meant opening rotating doors, inside cells. Teleportation doors between cells work ok.
Last edited by werdanith on 30 May 2012, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
StraToN

Post by StraToN »

The standard Bethesda version which runs perfectly well with Wine. I suggest Wine 1.5.2.
The only very little annoying thing is a little framerate drop when the music ambient changes (ie from exploration to combat, or the inverse). But, everything works perfect, including mods.

Plus, it is very useful to compare original stuff with OpenMW.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

StraToN wrote:The standard Bethesda version which runs perfectly well with Wine. I suggest Wine 1.5.2.
The only very little annoying thing is a little framerate drop when the music ambient changes (ie from exploration to combat, or the inverse). But, everything works perfect, including mods.

They say, MWSE don't work under WINE.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Coming back to the original question:

You want to run OpenMW from the command line and use the --new-game and the --start switch (use the Prisonship cell name with the start switch). This will place you right at the beginning of the tutorial (turn around; because of an unimplemented feature you are facing at the wrong direction at this point).

Some parts of the tutorial/character creation are already working (main exception is anything related to NPC movement). The next one or two releases will add more functionality to the tutorial and I expect it to be fully playable at that time (again, except for NPC movement).
StraToN

Post by StraToN »

heilkitty wrote:
StraToN wrote:The standard Bethesda version which runs perfectly well with Wine. I suggest Wine 1.5.2.

They say, MWSE don't work under WINE.
Appears fixed since 1.3.12
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24212
I have not tried though, i don't use mods using MWSE.